Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Wanting To Purchase A 2010 ATV >

Wanting To Purchase A 2010 ATV

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wanting To Purchase A 2010 ATV

Old 03-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Ruger-Redhawk
I had a 1997 Polaris Sportsman 500 I bought new.There was always something wrong with it. Then try calling Polaris's customer Service.You get better answers talking to the wall.All the woman knew to tell me was take it to your dealer.In 2006 I bought a brand New Honda TRX 680 and the wife a 06 350 Rancher ES. No problem with either. Once my 680 when I was hunting the front brakes got jammed pack with Red Alabama mud.Once that was taking care it's been fine.

I'm not bashing Polaris I used to praise them until my dealing with their customer service and allot of things that went wrong with it. I sold it in 2006 and it had less then 300 hrs on it.The first year in was in the shop as much as it was out.
Same here, good buddy!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Spike

According to the oilfield seismic outfits around here, Honda is #1 in the take a beating dept, but , the new engines are not as good as the old ones.
They say Yamaha has the best engines, but, the suspension has more moving parts, needs more work than Honda.
These guys won't buy anything else. They have too many wingnuts on their crews.
I can say for myself, ride a Honda over a 6" log on the road and a few rocky roads, the ride a Yammy over the same stuff, you will likely buy the yammy.
Independant susp is way easier on the constitution.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Suzuki King Quad 750....absolutely powerful and reliable...love it.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Check out this web site for reviews on the new ATV's. The closer to 5 the better the review. Check out the main brands only since some of the lesser known bikes don't have enough reviews to compare.
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...eview_list.asp then hit atv in the drop down box.

I have a 2006 Suzuki 450 King Quad and it has a strong engine, electronic fuel injection, independent rear suspension and a locking differencial. Great bike and it works out on the ice and in the woods flawlessly. It has good clearance for deep snow or mud travel and lots of great features.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-22-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

As Champ points out his 450 is plenty adequate for the jobs he has. And that is the case for many. A nice mid-size quad is plenty. (listen to me with a 700 - LOL) But for what it's worth it is true.

And that is exactly what I told a guy here in town. He had been out to the ATV park last year with some other guys and had been riding whatever he could borrow. So he wanted his own machine. I told him go mid size cause he's not too big or heavy at all. Told him go with a brand name and look at the used stuff all over out there and save alot of money especially becuase he'll probobly move up in a year, maybe two.

So what does he do? He buys a brand new KYMCO! A 375 for $6000 w/tax. I didn't say anything. I asked him if he looked on ebay and he says he did but he didn't want to waste time and gas driving around going thru them and this Kymco has a whole year warranty. Said it looked nicer and alot more shiny than the Suzuki and Hondas he looked at.

I guess he didn't realize that he could have bought something like a new Grizzly, Rancher or Prairie for the same money and had a machine with alot of years of track record under it's belt.

Oh well. Live and learn. We'll see how that thing fairs on the trails.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've owned honda, polaris, yamaha, suzuki and canam.. All but the polaris I'd recommend. I like the honda manual shift/sra for working, however for trail riding they can't match an auto/irs machine IMHO. Most people are looking for a dual purpose machine work and play, as such a mid class engine,IRS, auto trans with low range and good tires machine will suffice. Some models offer the option of locking the front diff for both tires to be turning, a nice feature for mudding, etc. My last yammie's had it and I used it a fair bit while hauling in camp or game out of tough terrain. Something you may consider in your research.

If your looking for a big bore, I don't think you can beat the canam. While the grizzly, king quads, etc are nice the canam is a beast!