Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Battery Socks - Do they work?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kevin1
Ditto. AC boot blankets don't work with heavily insulated boots though, there has to be heat from your feet to reflect back toward your feet for them to work. I've used heated socks and heated insoles, both made my feet sweaty and cold.
i take my boots off and put on the BOOT BLANKETS.but my boots get real cold when i go to walk out,so i have not perfected that idea yet.i think those boot blanklets will still work with heavy boot on,at least they did for me.but i hate the feeling of boot on when i sit all day.

boot blankets with a hot hand pack in it work real good and i can wiggle my toes etc.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
stay with the heat packs and merlino wool socks with poly wick sock under the wool.get boots so they are not tight.take kids to boot shop with the winter socks they will wear and try on boots.

i got a whole drawer full of battery heated socks some still in packs not used.
Good advice!............I also rub Secret unscented deodorant to keep my feet from sweating....and all of what sproulman said!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Ever since I was shocked the first time I tried the electric type socks, I swore them off. I don't know if there was a defect in the darn things, or sweating feet, but I went back to my tried and true woolies w/ 400 grams or more of thinsulate. if conditions warrant I'll toss in some chemical foot warmers, and just bite the bullet. Ruined a darn good hunt that particular evening.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rebel Hog
Good advice!............I also rub Secret unscented deodorant to keep my feet from sweating....and all of what sproulman said!
very good advice on SUD.i use unscented foot powder but i think your idea is better.i got to find a boot that i can get off easy to put on my boot blankets .looking at rubber boot with zipper.unisulated one that could be used for archery and cold in gun season or late muzzleloader.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whatever happened to the American belief

in global warming!!!

The socks could work until the batteries go dead. How long the batteries take to go dead is an open question. Especially with munchkins as caretakers.