Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

hennessy hammocks

Old 05-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default hennessy hammocks

Anyone use one of these to camp in ?
Any info is greatly appreciated, thx

Frank
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Default RE: hennessy hammocks

I've got the Ultralight Backpacker model and have to say it is pretty sweet. Sleeping in a hammock gives me the best night of sleep possible out in the boonies. You can add in a self inflating mat for an even better night's sleep.

Since they are as off the ground as you want them to be, I never have any problems with dew or frost forming in the morning thanks to better airflow. I went on a trip to Arkansas with my dad where he was in a tent and I was in a hammock, and he would wake up every morning damp from the river's moisture while I and my hammock were completely dry. You need to tie something like a bandanna to each of the lines attaching you to a tree though, because water can run down the lines and into your hammock in a heavy rain. Having a bandanna that is under the rain fly will cause that water to drip or run off instead of getting to you.

You will also need to figure out what to do with your gear. Obviously, you can't put it in your tent with you. What I usually end up doing is hanging my backpack from a tree and putting a trash bag or rain cover over it to keep it dry. You can also just set the pack under your tent on a couple of logs to keep it pretty dry. I've been looking at getting a waterproof pack so I can just lay it against a tree and not worry about it.

I say give one a shot. You will either love it or hate it. If you hate it, you can turn around and sell it on ebay for close to purchase price pretty easily.