Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Powerbelt game peformance

Old 01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Powerbelt game peformance

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and glad to see all the good reading to check out. I am starting a post to ask if anyone has experienced bad performance on game, such as deer, from Powerbelts.
I have shot numerous deer using 245 gr copper series powerbelts and have noticed the following: First, the bullet never seems to pass through. Second, the deer doesn't bleed externally for about the first 30 yards. Third and finally, the bullets seem to fragment really bad.
I have found all the deer I have shot with them either right in their tracks at point of impact or tracked the deer using circles since there was not a blood trail at first. When the blood trail does begin it becomes easy to see really fast, but until then, good luck.
Let me know if any of you have experienced the same and what projectiles you are using now.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Powerbelt game peformance

Ive seen a few deer taken with them without problems,shooting over 90g 777. How much powder or pellets were you using ?? Ive heard of problems you speak of, whenpushing themto fast........
Old 01-23-2009, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check with the guys in the Black Powder forum. Powerbelts are well known to fragment with a heavy powder charge. Optimum performance seems to be with about 80 gr.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Prohunter,
My brother and I used to use those bullets in our Knights with 100 grs of pyrodex. We didn't use them long as they were terrible for us. They'd kill deer but you had best be good at tracking the scuff marks of running deer. I shot a small busk right on the shoulder and he ran like he wasn't hit, went maybe 50 yds, no blood until right before finding him. We are now using the Knight 240 gr jacket bullet and them are working great for us. I have talked to other hunter with the same experience as you and I and yet others swear by the Powerbelts.

Jim
Old 01-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I have heard good and bad, but the bad always seem to be the same issue. I am using 100 grains of triple seven, which isn't that much I don't think.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a doe this year with Powerbelt 245 grain copper bullets. Thank god the doe dropped! there was no blood and when we gutted her the bullets was in a million different pieces in her chest cavity.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I shot 2 elk with 348 grain powerbelts Both died ,a bull went 50 yards a cow went about 200 Yards. I pushed them 120 grains of T7 with a wad. Bullets looked like a .50 piece very flat. I don't use them anymore On a deer the 348 should work fine
Redclub
Old 01-26-2009, 01:55 PM

never had that problem i use 80 grain
Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

in-lines,i would not use powerbelt.
flintlocks, its a great bullet cause you can load down, not up and it will open.

just use heavist one and keep charge at medium.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have had the powerbelts in my inline 294 grain hollow points with 100grain 777 no expand none at all
looked like you coulda put bullet back down the barrel thankfully deer went 30 yards and i could see it
all the time gotta look for better set up for next year

Quick Reply: Powerbelt game peformance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.