Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Powerbelt game peformance

Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Powerbelt game peformance

ORIGINAL: bowtruck

i have had the powerbelts in my inline 294 grain hollow points with 100grain 777 no expand none at all
looked like you coulda put bullet back down the barrel thankfully deer went 30 yards and i could see it
all the time gotta look for better set up for next year
bow, talk to sabot/cayugad/chap g,they are real good on bullet to use with in-line.

me, i would want the most i could get out of in-line and PB is not a bullet i would use.

but in flintlock at 70/80 grs,pb hollowpoint is best bullet i have used for shots 100 ydsand under.

all my shots on bucks are under 75 yds.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

personally i dont like them, in my experiance, close range the fragment BAD, and also they dont even have a real copper jacket, its an ultra thin electro plated coating
...FWIW tho they shoot accurately for the most part however

Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ReDoT

personally i dont like them, in my experiance, close range the fragment BAD, and also they dont even have a real copper jacket, its an ultra thin electro plated coating
...FWIW tho they shoot accurately for the most part however
they will fragment if you are using them at high speed in a in-line at close range,you are correct BUT in the handsof COOL LUKE SPROULMAN AT LOW SPEED IN FLINTLOCK,boy i cant find anything better that i would use for a buck.

with that hollow point bullet 295 you could go down to 70 grs of 2f in a .50 cal and flintlock and it will take any whitetail and bullet will open nicely.

secret is YOU CAN LOAD DOWN, NOT UP,isnt that great thing with open sights and a flintlock, you bet it is
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

100 grains 777 is probably too much for the 245 grain PB.

I'd suggest using the 295 or 348 grain PB (if you want to stick with them) and use 80 grains of powder max. That would be a good deer load, and the PB's shouldn't fragment at those velocities. BUT, there are better projectiles out there for deer hunting.....
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Spike

I have taken 4 deer with Powerbelts, and never had one travel more than 10 feet after being hit. Every one had a complete pass through, and a large exit wound. The trick is to use a very heavy for caliber bullet, and not to push it too fast.
In my .50 Hawken, I just about duplicate the original loading for the 45-70 Gov't. cartridge. I use the 405 gr. Powerbelt in front of 70 gr. Pyrodex RS. I go under the theory that if the game is too far for away, get closer. My longest shot has been just about 65 yards, and like I said there was no tracking required.
Everyone has their own opinion, but I have no problems with the Powerbelt, as long as I keep within these parameters.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Yankee Doodle

I have taken 4 deer with Powerbelts, and never had one travel more than 10 feet after being hit. Every one had a complete pass through, and a large exit wound. The trick is to use a very heavy for caliber bullet, and not to push it too fast.
In my .50 Hawken, I just about duplicate the original loading for the 45-70 Gov't. cartridge. I use the 405 gr. Powerbelt in front of 70 gr. Pyrodex RS. I go under the theory that if the game is too far for away, get closer. My longest shot has been just about 65 yards, and like I said there was no tracking required.
Everyone has their own opinion, but I have no problems with the Powerbelt, as long as I keep within these parameters.
very well said.

thats why i would not use powerbelt hollow point in a in-line.

if i had in-line i want it to shoot out to 150 yds, so i want bullet that is HOT LOAD and tough bullet..

so, no powerbelt for in-line.that makes it easy.

'now,on to my only gun i would have,its a FLINTLOCK.

ITS A 100 YD GUN AND UNDER.

SO, POWERBELT IS best BULLET FOR ME.

i can load DOWN,not up and bullet opens.

like 70 grs of 2f in .50 cal with the 295 pb hollowpoint.

i use 80 grs but 70 would be fine.

i am going to 3f soon, so my load may be 70 grs of geox with the 295 pb.

you are right ,go to heaviest bullet, i did not know you could get a 405 in .50 cal, i thought the 348 was biggest.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oldsmellhound

100 grains 777 is probably too much for the 245 grain PB.

I'd suggest using the 295 or 348 grain PB (if you want to stick with them) and use 80 grains of powder max. That would be a good deer load, and the PB's shouldn't fragment at those velocities. BUT, there are better projectiles out there for deer hunting.....
you are right.

open sights, under 100 yds,slow moving ,big bullet is KING.

THE HOLLOW POINT HEAVY POWERBELLTS ARE GREAT.

long shots, in-lines, scope, HOT LOADS,NO WAY I WOULD USE POWERBELT HOLLOW POINT[:@]
Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

useing any light weight ml bullet is not a good idea imo . 6 of us that hunt together all shoot the 295hp pb ,we've shot blackpowder,pyrodex,777,shockeys gold and now blackhorn 209 with these bullets. we are almost to 200 kills with them . most game drops in its tracks or very close by. if they don't get out of sight why do you need a blood trail. i'm shooting 80gns of bh209 now in my triumph .....
Old 02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had pretty good results w/ the powerbelts. i recently switched to the shockwaves.
I have shot a few deer w/ the powerbelts, but found if you shoot a few between cleaning your gun, they don't fly as consistantly.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used Power Belts. Admittedly I used a pretty good charge .. up to 150 gr. --- foolish though the rifle was rated for that heavy a charge. The Power Belt does indeed tend to shed the jacket. Especially at closer ranges where it is still hauling tail when it strikes the deer. I've seen fragmenting personally 10 +/- times. However I have had no problems recovering the 11 deer and the 2 feral hogs I killed with them. Two years ago I switched to a Hornady sabot. Wound up with far better groups and definitely the kind of "killing" I prefer ... a almost always pass through shots, even out to 125-135 yards, and heavy blood trails.

Quick Reply: Powerbelt game peformance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.