Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Powerbelt game peformance

Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Spike

Default RE: Powerbelt game peformance

love the 245gr aerotip--- Omega .50 150gr 777
killed @ 7yd out to 210yd --- smashed deer flat --- power belt seems to2x its size --- most dead on spot & only 3 has ran --- no problem tracking

295gr worked awsome also --- cheap CVA ($99 back in the 90's) --- 100gr pdex
Old 02-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Spike

I agree with yanky doodle, my longest shot with my cva loaded with295gr power belt w/100 gr pyodex was no more than 70 yardson three deer this yr. One droped in his tracks, the other two went no more than 30 yrds. Two pass throughs and the one that didnt was a hard angel from behind the shoulder towards the hip. when I found the bullet was flatned but mostly intact. so far I have no problems with the combo above.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

imo powerbelts are very accurate, however i have never had one stay intact once contact was made with a deer. i shot a 10 point this year in the neck at 40 yards and it did not even pass through. the ONLY reason i continue their use is because my rifle loves them when it comes to accuracy. i should add that i have never lost a deer due to the powerbelts fragmenting, i just wish they had better controlled expansion.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

imo powerbelts are very accurate, however i have never had one stay intact once contact was made with a deer. i shot a 10 point this year in the neck at 40 yards and it did not even pass through. the ONLY reason i continue their use is because my rifle loves them when it comes to accuracy. i should add that i have never lost a deer due to the powerbelts fragmenting, i just wish they had better controlled expansion.
would you like to share your LOAD with us.

i bet you use IN-LINE at 100 grs and over and shots under 75 yds.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deermeat01

I agree with yanky doodle, my longest shot with my cva loaded with295gr power belt w/100 gr pyodex was no more than 70 yardson three deer this yr. One droped in his tracks, the other two went no more than 30 yrds. Two pass throughs and the one that didnt was a hard angel from behind the shoulder towards the hip. when I found the bullet was flatned but mostly intact. so far I have no problems with the combo above.
great.

use heaviest one you can and keep powder under 100 grs and you will be fine..

THE SPROULMAN HAS SPOKEN!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Well, it seems the consensus is that keep the powder at 80 gr or less and you are good to go. Keep it above the 100....fragmenting is a possibility. Interestingly, I have never lost a deer shot with powerbelts...however, there have been several that had I not noticed the deer's reaction..I would've given up after searching and not finding blood anywhere near the point of impact...most the time, these deer show no blood within 30 yards of the poi. I love powerbelt for loading and shooting but the expansion needs work!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

i love my powerbelts in my .50 cal flintlock at 80 grs.

if i had a in-line i would not use them.

but if i had to pick BEST bullet for a flintlock with open sights and shots at under 100 yds on a buck,it would be heavy hollowpointPOWERBELT loaded at medium charge.

like 80 grs in .50 cal
like 90 grs in .54 cal

2f powder or lower with 3f.

hollowpoint powerbelt is a killing machine at LOW VELOCITY.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Far better choices for the same or a lot less(for conicals) that do not have the limitations PB's do.

Steve

Old 02-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Far better choices for the same or a lot less(for conicals) that do not have the limitations PB's do.

Steve

steve, i have not found one yet that meets my approval in a flintlock .

the 370 maxi-ball is great one but it needs MORE POWDER to do job and its messy and freezes.

i based my info on a lot of things with powerbelt ..

give us your ideas,thanks
Old 02-26-2009, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use them TC Cheap Shots in my Flinty. Shoot and work good w/ that 1/48 twist on. Costs about $6.00 a pack!

Quick Reply: Powerbelt game peformance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.