Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes? >

Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 PM

Default Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes?

Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes? I dont know if foot spikes is the right name for what I am talking about. What I am refering to are the spikes that tree climbers and lineman use that strap on to there boots and allows them to climb by basicly walking up the tree. I am thinking of buying a pair and was looking for some info....
Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes?

First thing make sure you get tree trimmers spikes they have longer spikes than lineman spikes(does that make sense)this will make a difference especially when climbing trees with thick bark.
2.SAFETY BELT WHEN CLIMBING!!!!! This is a no brainer.
3.Be very careful when first starting to use them that you don't miss when climbing cause you will kick them right into your leg and it HURTS and will leave a nasty scar.(don't ask me how I know I just know)
4.Remember to stay on the front of the tree when climbing and keep your legs straight when not taking a step there is no feeling like having a spike come out while in the middle of a step cause gravity does indeed work.
5.If you get a pair always keep your spikes sharp and free of burrs that way you don't have to stomp them in you can just step up a tree.
6.Strap them on tight if you get a pair this will make sense,I like to have mine as tight as I can take so there is no wobble at the ankle or knee.
7.Lean back into your climbing belt to keep your weight on your feet if you don't you will learn the meaning of "burning a tree" again gravity works and if your spikes slip you will find this out.
8.It's harder than it looks so if you get a pair practice,practice,practice on tree in your front yard,start small and work up to bigger trees.
9.I always inspect mine before every trip into a tree even if I was just in 1 the day before.
10.Be wary of thick barked trees as if you don't get a good step you will only be in the bark and not the meat of the tree.

These are just some things I can think of off the top of my head I use spikes to put up and get into my tree stands I also have used them to make a living trimming trees.Above all BE VERY,VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING THEM.I am not trying to scare you just stating facts about the obvious dangers.I have burned a few trees,missed a few steps,had spikes kick out on me,stabbed myself in the leg with a missed step,face planted on a tree(this happens when both spikes kick out and you go face first into the trunk)this generally precedes "burning a tree".Burning a tree means you go down REALLY fast kinda like hooking your toes on a ladder and letting go and sliding down said ladder.It would be helpful if you knew a tree-trimmer and got some first hand instruction but if not like I said practice on small trees at first and work up to bigger trees.
I hope I've helped in some small way please be careful.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

for hunting, every deer will hear you going up tree.

in dark, oh my.

i would never use them.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also check your local DNR to see if they are legal. Many states will not allow you to use them on state land. They say it damages the tree and will make you pay for the tree.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

I would also check your local DNR to see if they are legal. Many states will not allow you to use them on state land. They say it damages the tree and will make you pay for the tree.
they are illegal in pa.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

+1 thndrchiken. They can DEFINITELY damage trees.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Leave the tree climbers to the pro's. In myearly careerI was a lineman and can assure you that climbing with hooks is no easy task. One mistake and you will find yourself on your back with some serious injuries.The damage you will do to a healthy tree is another reason to not get them.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I respectfully disagree with the damage caused by spikes,I agree there can be damage from spikes if not usedPROPERLY I cannot begin to tell you how many trees I have been in making a living.When used PROPERLY spikes will not heavily damage a tree I have climbed and trimmed trees for people who were picky to say the least I can show people trees I have trimmed that are very much alive and undamaged.Used PROPERLY spikes are alright IMO but then again I have been up in hundreds of trees and understand the PROPER way to use them as a matter of fact used PROPERLY"hooks" leave very little damage that the tree will not recover from relatively quickly.
Let's face it you don't climb saplings with "hooks" you are generally in a well established tree with a thick bark that can withstand a few pinpricks but again I say when used PROPERLY.I have/do disinfect my spikes to keep from spreading diseases among trees I truly do everything in my power to "protect" the tree I am trimming or hanging a stand in,just my opinion and expierience fellas I am not trying to be a know it all or argumenative.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess when I think of using a tree stand several uses come to mind. Climb the tree with hooks and put in the stand. You get done and climb back down using the same hooks. The next day you go back and so on. IMO if someone wants to put up a tree stand do it with the conventional climbing aids like screw in steps or strap on ladders. If it is a one time shot then I agree it probably wouldn't harm the tree other than cosmetically. I also believe there are several safer options for a person to use when they want to go up a tree.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

I guess when I think of using a tree stand several uses come to mind. Climb the tree with hooks and put in the stand. You get done and climb back down using the same hooks. The next day you go back and so on. IMO if someone wants to put up a tree stand do it with the conventional climbing aids like screw in steps or strap on ladders. If it is a one time shot then I agree it probably wouldn't harm the tree other than cosmetically. I also believe there are several safer options for a person to use when they want to go up a tree.

Well said brother I had not thought of it in that manner because as I am thinking about it when I hang stands and go up to them to hunt I NEVER go up the same way,what I mean is I do everything I can NOT to "step" in the same holes I mean I make a real effort not to.I had a chance to become a certified arborist(tree-trimmer) but I did not I truly enjoy climbing and trimming trees but alas my knees won't take a lot of it any longer[>:].The feeling of expertly dropping limbs right where you want them while hanging from your climbing harness on your climbing rope is really great,sounds silly but I was proud to be good at what I did besides the pay wasn't bad my fee to climb for other people was very good in fact on occasion it still is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.