HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Korak
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes?

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

I guess when I think of using a tree stand several uses come to mind. Climb the tree with hooks and put in the stand. You get done and climb back down using the same hooks. The next day you go back and so on. IMO if someone wants to put up a tree stand do it with the conventional climbing aids like screw in steps or strap on ladders. If it is a one time shot then I agree it probably wouldn't harm the tree other than cosmetically. I also believe there are several safer options for a person to use when they want to go up a tree.

Well said brother I had not thought of it in that manner because as I am thinking about it when I hang stands and go up to them to hunt I NEVER go up the same way,what I mean is I do everything I can NOT to "step" in the same holes I mean I make a real effort not to.I had a chance to become a certified arborist(tree-trimmer) but I did not I truly enjoy climbing and trimming trees but alas my knees won't take a lot of it any longer[>:].The feeling of expertly dropping limbs right where you want them while hanging from your climbing harness on your climbing rope is really great,sounds silly but I was proud to be good at what I did besides the pay wasn't bad my fee to climb for other people was very good in fact on occasion it still is