HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Korak
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone climbed trees using foot spikes?

I respectfully disagree with the damage caused by spikes,I agree there can be damage from spikes if not usedPROPERLY I cannot begin to tell you how many trees I have been in making a living.When used PROPERLY spikes will not heavily damage a tree I have climbed and trimmed trees for people who were picky to say the least I can show people trees I have trimmed that are very much alive and undamaged.Used PROPERLY spikes are alright IMO but then again I have been up in hundreds of trees and understand the PROPER way to use them as a matter of fact used PROPERLY"hooks" leave very little damage that the tree will not recover from relatively quickly.
Let's face it you don't climb saplings with "hooks" you are generally in a well established tree with a thick bark that can withstand a few pinpricks but again I say when used PROPERLY.I have/do disinfect my spikes to keep from spreading diseases among trees I truly do everything in my power to "protect" the tree I am trimming or hanging a stand in,just my opinion and expierience fellas I am not trying to be a know it all or argumenative.