Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Scent eliminating clothes or spray? >

Scent eliminating clothes or spray?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scent eliminating clothes or spray?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scent eliminating clothes or spray?

What do you guys think? is the Scent-Lok/Scent Eliminator/whatever else worth the extra $$ or is a spray just as effective or more so? I was reading in one of the other posts and someone brought this up and was curious what everyone thought. I also don't know that much about the stuff so it's also a personal knowledge type of thing.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scent eliminating clothes or spray?

Nothing carbon based lasts very long, and will have adsorbed plenty of odor hanging on the rack at the store anyway. Don't fall for the hype, you can't "reactivate" carbon at home in a dryer, that's ablatant lie and scientifically impossible. Nearly all of the sprays are peroxide/baking soda based and work well, I spray mine down straight out of the wash and allow them to air dry outside in my woods, and that works as well as anything is likely to.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Well, lets be careful. . .Carbon scent absorbsion works, but like others have said that between the carbon being applied to the material and your treestand, it has had lots of time to become full. I'm not sure when carbon reaches full, so. . .not sure how effective it is. Also, since I'm not a deer, I don't know how to test.

Now, there are other scent materials which actively fight the bacteria which creates human scent. Basically, as I understand it, we stink because our sweat mixes with bacteria which converts not stinky sweat into human stink. Hense anti-perspirint. Check your bottle. It uses aluminum and silver compounds to breakdown this bacteria. The clothes with these compounds in the material are said to workin a similar way. They don't absorb odor, but do help eliminate your ability to make human scent.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Sweating is healthy and necessary.

There is deodorant designed to stop the (bacteria) odor but allow secreting sweat. An antibacterial if you will.

Then there's anti-perspirint which is designed to prevent sweat excretion completely. There's also some evidence of higher breast cancer rates in those using anti-perspirints.