Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

UV Killer?

Old 11-18-2008, 06:08 AM

Default RE: UV Killer?

I totally agree. I think the #1 buster is MOVEMENT over anything else. Deer have survived b/c they are able to detect the slightest movement among the landscape so they can flee a predator. They have also survived b/c of their Nose, however although I do take the precautions of making sure I'm scent free (no scent-blocker/carbon crap though), I dont think your scent is going to bust you unless you have a very strong or offensive body odor.

Now interestingly there was a study a little while ago, that showed how scientists believe that humans have the greatest ability of all animals to detect other animals as a survival mechanism. They did a study where I beleive they showed a picture of woods with no animals/some animals and then showed a picture with animals added, but hidden and people were able to quickly identify and spot the animals. Scientists believe that this ability evolved and was a vital part in our survival also in spotting prey either to keep us safe or for hunting.

So I think Movement and Scent are the #1 and #2 reasons hunters get busted. By all means if you want to use the UV stuff, go ahead it has no effect on me and helps the economy
Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: UV Killer?

Well, I spoke with Dan from Atsko again today and for me I have come to several conclusions. These conclusions are based on reading numerous research papers on deer vision. Asking tons of questions and actually getting some pretty good answers, and lastly going into the field (Stores) and talking with retailers while subjecting garments to a black light.

Deer can and do see UV light.
Some garments do reflect UV rays more than other items.
UV light is strongest or most visible in the early morning and late evening.
Using a black light does make some garments glow, whether that is a good indicator of the presences of UV Brighteners? I am unable to positively answer yes or no. Kind of thinking it does, but I do not have the ability to positively prove or disprove it. I say this because I have a glowing garment that is clearly labeled “No UV Brighteners”. Atsko wants you to believe the labeling of the garment is incorrect. The equipment needed to truly determine the presence of brighteners is far beyond the mean of the average Joe. I have treated the garment with 3 bottles of spray and it still glows?
If you elect to try the UV Killer stuff I suggest you read ALL the special instructions on their web site. They have just added several new instructions based on the test with my garments; however I’m still not convinced they have it worked out.
[ol][/ol]
So, in a nuts shell I am more educated than I was two months ago regarding deer’s vision. I will not buy any garment for hunting without checking it for UV brighteners. Until something better comes along I will use the black light test. With regard to using UV Killer? It does reduce some of the glow, however in my opinion it can be difficult to obtain positive results. It takes a significant amount of the product which runs $15 plus shipping per bottle. You may be better off just spending the extra money on quality garments without UV brighteners from the start. The items I already own that glow? I’m not wasting any more money, lesson learned.

As for those who believe and those who do not? It all comes down to what makes you feel confident. If whatever you are doing is working don;t change it. If you need a good excuse for why you are not seeing anything feel free to use something said here. LOL