Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Boots?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Boots?

I am looking for a good pair of boots to take to the mountains on an elk hunt,they have to bereliable and comfortable. My feet tend to stay warm, so I am not looking for anything with a lot of insulation, maybe 400 grams of thinsulate at the most. I have heard people say I need a taller boot for ankle and calf support. If this is the case, would a 8 or 9" boot be sufficient? Thanks in advance for all the advice and input.

This is the boot that I am leaning towards, but haven't made up my mind quite yet. Since these boots are new, there really aren't many reviews on them.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_99719____SearchResults
Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Boots?

You cant go wrong with Danner: 9 inch boots are good for any hunt.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 PM

Last season i went thru the same thing with new boots.

light weight was a priority
waterproof
ability to breath somewhat

My choice was danner pronghorn
Couldn't be happier, best boot for fit, comfort and hiking i have ever owned
They hardly needed to be broken in.

now I am a big guy, and I perspire a tad more than my brothers which has
always left me with damp feet at days end. These boots helped with that more than any other
I have used.

Oh I just noticed the link you put there with the danners, you do realize they are fairly insulated?
If you do a lot of sitting they are ok, but might be a tad warm if you do a lot of hiking/walking
just make sure it's what you want

good luck with your choice.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM

I'm a fan of all leather boots, at least for my hiking boots, I really like the Redhead 7" Mountian trail boot
soft leater, gore-tex 200 grams insulation, aggessive tread design and have a steel shank for extra support

Good luck with you chose, buying boots can be a real headache sometimes

Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 PM

I can recommend Matterhorns (only made in the USA models), I have a 8" and it they are made of soft but durable leather. Pleasure to wear and tough like nails. Very short break in time. I saw a good deal on few models at www.sportsmansguide.com. I got mine for $162 and it worth every penny
Old 10-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got to use my brand new Scentblocker boots today for the first time. I was shocked to see how light they were. I am not sure what insulation they have but I know it isn't much. They seem to be waterproof as I stepped in several creeks on the way to my stand. But after an entire day in them I am very happy with them.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a Danner fan. I have the Pronghorn and a heavier insulated boot by Danner of which I forget the "model". I have hunted eastern Montana. Lots of walking. Not at high altitude, but lots of steep sided washes, because it was going to be near or bleow 0F, I took the heavier boot. These 9" boots did great in temps down to about -10F. Stayed warm and no problems with support.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Spike

Schnee's boots, made in Montana. Best boot's I've everhad for comfort and fit. Also very warm and durable.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

I am a Danner fan. I have the Pronghorn and a heavier insulated boot by Danner of which I forget the "model". I have hunted eastern Montana. Lots of walking. Not at high altitude, but lots of steep sided washes, because it was going to be near or bleow 0F, I took the heavier boot. These 9" boots did great in temps down to about -10F. Stayed warm and no problems with support.
Make that two Danner fans. I have yet to find anything that matches these boots to date...although I have heard that Irish Setters are worth their weight in gold, too. We'll see at some point.