Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

what's the deal with silver?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Spike

Default what's the deal with silver?

I just happened by BPS and Sportsman's Warehouse today and notice a couple diff. brands of base layers with silver-lined threads or something another (costing about $30 ea for tops and bottoms). Advertiseing scent elimination. Do you guys think this works? I've read the highly debated forums on carbon clothing is this stuff about the same?

I also picked up some primos silverxp while on sale...what are your thoughts on this scent elimination spray?

If the stuff works I was thinking I could just put on the base layers and spray down my cloths and get after the whitetails.

thanks,

Sir. Stinks-A-Lot
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what's the deal with silver?

I use a lot of the Medalist Silvermax and the XScent stuff. My understanding is the the silver threads inhibit the growth of bacteria that causes body odor. I have used this stuff for a few years and like it. I don't know if the deer smell you (they don't act like it), but I don't have to smell myself after a hard day of hunting, which is just as important to me and my family.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:27 PM

It was 70 deg walking to my stand on opening morning last year. Sprayed down before leaving the truck and then again just before the last leg of the hike. I was sweating like crazy! No matter how muchI slowed down I couldn't stop. 30 min after sunrise I had 4 does come in from up wind and a then smaller buck came in from another direction but still up wind. As you can imagine I was praying for a shot on the buck (it didn't matter that he was a little smaller than some would like, he was full velvet.) before he could circle around downwind. Well, that didn't happen and he, along with one of the does did completely circle me. That buck came in at my 12 o'clock and when the arrow passed thru him he was standing at my 7. That was the first hunt that I was wearing BPS's Enduraskin clothes. I had bought the shirt during turkey season and liked the way it kept me cool so I decided to buy the pants for deer season. Along with the mask and the gloves, they're great with a release.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

More gimmicks to separate a hunter from his money!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Silver is not the same as carbon. SIlver does not absorb the odor molecules, but rather silver inhibits the bacteria that causes the odor.... ANd yes, this actually works until the silver is washed out of the clothes..... There is no super heating required. Wash, dry, wear......

And if you have trouble with sinuses, try going to a health food store and getting a nose spray of colloidal silver .... it works like a charm...

Silver has many many uses...

Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I can verify the silver as well. I got a Medalist shirt from Dick's. I wore it as my undergarment for 3 days on a hunt. Absolutely NO odor whatsoever, even on day 3.

The carbon clothing in my opinion is a waste. Within a short time the carbon is "full" of absorption, and it's a pain to "recharge" in the dryer.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

And if you have trouble with sinuses, try going to a health food store and getting a nose spray of colloidal silver .... it works like a charm...

Silver has many many uses...

Be cautious when reccomending colloidal silver, overuse is possible. The silver salts build up in the tissues, sometimes to the point of staining the skin a bluish color, there have even been fatalities associated with misuse of it. There is no known way to remove the collected salts.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Yep just another way to sucker some poor old soul out of money.