Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Polaris vs Honda

Old 02-17-2003, 11:17 PM

Default RE: Polaris vs Honda

I just got to thinking how dare anyone compare the two!!!
HONDA hands down!!

go here and read about them and see what you think. if you are going to inquire at least get opinions at a site that is dedicated to the subject!

http://www.highlifter.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Old 02-18-2003, 08:28 AM

I' have owned both and both machines have been bullet proof. It' s really unfair to compare a 5 yr. old machine to a new one or a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke machine like others have posted. Go out there and test ride one. (in the dirt)
and pick out the one you like. I bought a Polaris and the wife took it for a ride and that was the last time I got to ride it. So I had to grab her Honda and sell it to the dog club so I could buy my Polaris. One other thing... most of the guys own jap Atvs at the club and say they would never buy a Polaris but if I leave my key' s in it " they" are always on that no good Polaris of mine. I wonder why that is?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soark, Now you' re a Honda Man? You' re going to be more work converting then I had planned. First Remington and now a Japanese Honda' s.There maybe still some hope for you but it will take time.LOL..
Honda would probably be my second choice in ATV' s.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

we just bought a 4 wheeler last year and it was a honda racher ES (electric Shift) no problems with it and like subble jumper said its ez on gas. we have it on the farm and we use it just about every day. for checkin cows during calving, fencing and hunting and well just screwin around. we have over 2 thousand miles on it in one year. it runs great. have a buddy that has had a honda 4 wheeler for 15 yrs and was waiting for it to die before he got a new one but it never did so he finaly went in and bought another honda. they are super reliable and no maintence. plus scence ii live on a farm i put our 4 wheeler through some tough tests and its done real well. i say hondas the way to go
Old 02-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Just a couple of questions do you want an automatic transmission, and do you ride through standing water much? If you do don' t pass go don' t collect your $200 dollars and head striaght to the Honda dealer. I will have no part of a belt drive scooter, I' ve pulled too many out of flooded bean/rice field in Ark. where I duck hunt. You can say what you want, but a belt drive transmission will slip in the water, it' s just inevitable, sooner or later it will leak and start slipping which ain' t fun. That aside there are a lot of good bikes, the Honda' s aren' t the fastest but they tend to have plenty of torque. To me the Polaris is one of the best riding four wheelers around, but it simply isn' t that good for what I do with a scooter. In addition in my area Honda' s generally have the highest resale value, something you might want to check out.

Gordon
Old 02-18-2003, 10:31 PM

Gordon you said it !! honda developed a REAL transmission in the rubicon. no belts!
I will admit ONE flaw with honda. no disc brakes. but there is a aftermarket kit for them that is super. i expect to see them on new honda' s soon.

ruger i guess i like jap atv' s and tractors. kubota is #1..
i can' t seem to buy those jap guns though!

i am not condemning polaris i just think your money is better spent and you will far happier in the long run with a honda.

Oh one last note the best atv i have ever seen in the mud is a suzuki king quad. i have seen them put it in diff lock and go where others will not!and they they are very tough . but i am a honda man right now!
Old 02-19-2003, 06:56 AM

Have 2 hunt; I wish I could take you up on your offer. I' ve always loved a good ride.

GordenGekko; I live in upstate NY, I live pretty much in a swamp, and I' ve never had a problem with the belt slipping, except one time. The one time the belt slipped is when I drove my polaris into a river that is over 10 foot deep. I wanted to see how well it floated. it floated just not high enough to keep running. I went home cleaned the carb, within 5-10 min. the thing was running again. Ran alittle choked up at first, but in about 5 min. it cleared up. The belt did slip for a couple of laps around the yard, then it was fine. I' ve always ran in wet conditions and not once had a problem, as long as the water doesn' t reach the seat, which is where the vent tube is for the belt.

Soarkrebel; Just when I thought you where a real ATV person you had to go and say something about SU-SUCKY[:' (]. Now lets be real almost any mag. or ATV comparison literature will say su sucky are the worst. They have more problems then a drunk hooker with aids.

Like I' ve said before a machine has to be what the PERSON wants, not what everyone else wants them to get. Polaris, Honda, Yamaha are probably the top choices (OF COARSE WITH POLARIS BEING #1, THE BEST, AWSOME). The best way for a person to figure what they want is to go to the dealer and ask questions, go for a test ride, ask friends if you can try there machine, etc...Most Polaris owners will let you take a test ride on there machines because we have nothing to hide, plus we know the machine' s can handle being treated rough. Those guys that ride those honda' s well some will let ya take a test ride, but most are too afraid to let someone else ride there machine because they know they' ll find out the truth. They' re afraid to admit they didn' t make a good choice and they want other people to be with them.
If I' m typing to fast for you Honda owners I can slow down and let ya catch up, you guys are used to that, just like trail ridding. If ya just want to go ridding then buy a honda, but if you want to ride with the big boys then ya best get a POLARIS.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:02 PM

Now 722 i said they were great in the mud. i watched a guy go through a hole that we all had to winch out of, polaris included. he just played in it and made us all shake our heads. it' s that diff. lock!
and i know one guy that has one that has been to he** and back and still going.

I wouldnt buy one though. my kawasaki has an unknown amount of miles. it is a 92 and still going. i have had to do a lot of repairs to it. i can' t keep water out of the front end. i have change every seal and vent hose several times. but it is still a dependable wheeler.
i hate to say this but it really is preference. and a very important factor in how long anything lasts is maintenance. and how it is ridden.
you have to take care of them. i just did my spring oil change on my honda last night. i change it every spring and fall whether it needs it or not. i also change the front and rear oil. make sure it has a clean air filter and really inspect the machine after i ride. if it is broke i fix it.
if you do these things i think most major wheelers will last.
And with as many zerk fittings as a polaris has you probably will spend a lot of time greasing!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:39 PM

Soarkrebel You bring up probably the most important thing of all. Without the proper maintenace any ATV will fail. Yes you are right Polaris does like there grease fittings, it doesn' t really bother me, I' ld rather have a grease fitting instead of some cheap bushing that' ll wear out. Did you say you were getting ready for spring, we' ve still got more then 3 foot of snow on the ground Now one more thing you talked about su-sucky again if you keep this up we' re going to have to wash your mouth out with soap

To all the people that said they own, and, or like honda, when I' m putting them down I' m only kidding nothing personal. Like soarkrebel said it really is a preference thing(just like ford ver. chevy) coarse I like jeeps).
Old 02-19-2003, 05:08 PM

i was talking to a honda dealer the other day. he said now days all are pretty good bikes,but hes found out that the 300- 400 class are usually the best and most maintenance free. he said the 300 was the best bike honda has ever made

Quick Reply: Polaris vs Honda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.