Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scentlock Vs. X-Scent

Old 02-10-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Scentlock Vs. X-Scent

I got some scent lock pants 50% off at an expo now that its the off season. But they only had the bottoms in my size. So I am looking for something for my top half now. I was wondering if any of you use any of that silver infused clothing and if it works. It is generally half the price of the carbon products so I am skeptical if it actually works. Such silver lined clothes I was considering are X-Static, X-Scent, or Articshield X-System which all can viewed at www.sportsmanguide.com , So have any of you used these? Any thoughts? I am thinking you get what you pay for , but there is always that diamond in a rough when found. Give me your thoughts or testimonials. [/align]
Old 02-10-2007, 09:22 AM

Default RE: Scentlock Vs. X-Scent

This past season I used the X-scent longjohns that I bought at Wal-Mart. Killed the biggest buck of my life, so they obviously work! I actually really liked the X-scent stuff. Very light weight and comfortable. I'm of the opinion that if the undergarments are effective maybe the scent control isn't necessary in the pants and jacket. For those I worry more about weather-proofing and how noisy they are. From what I've heard and read, silver may just make carbon obsolete before too long.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Do a google search for "carbon suits" before you invest any money in them.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 AM

I have used the X-scent undergarments, including top, bottom and socks the past 3 years. Not sure if it really helps control scent or not, but they were cheap and make a fairly decent baselayer.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

can't help myself on this one...what did we all do for YEARS when there was no scent loc? No big bucks were ever killed before scent loc was invented? ...Sorry I don't buy the scent loc stuff, may it help you...maybe?
But basics are basics
If you still hunt its into the wind and if you place a stand do it with diligence..take the wind into consideration
Old 02-12-2007, 06:49 PM

jim,
when comparing the 2 remember that x-scent only kills the bacteria that causes human odor, it does nothing to contain foreign odor. If you have worked up a real sweat or picked up a foreign odor before getting to your stand like coffee,or smoke or the dog brushed up against you,the scent-lok will adsorb it,the x-scent won't.
The other item you need to be effective is the scent-lok hood. Without it you might as well not wear the other 2 pieces. The majority of your scent comes from your head/neck area AND your breath.
Scent-Lok is not the be-all ,end-all, and you can hunt w/o it ,as others here have stated. It's another weapon to use in your scent free arsenol.

I have used Scent-Lok for 10+ years and I will go on record as saying that I have not been busted since.
Alot of folks on this forum will disagree ,but they have never used Scent-Lok.
As long as you store it properly and reactivate it properly my expierence is that it does work , and work well.
You sure don't need it but if the wind swirls where your stand is , you will be glad you had it on.

Feel free to PM me if you have any othrt questions I can answer.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Muskeon jim

I got some scent lock pants 50% off at an expo now that its the off season. But they only had the bottoms in my size. So I am looking for something for my top half now. I was wondering if any of you use any of that silver infused clothing and if it works. It is generally half the price of the carbon products so I am skeptical if it actually works. Such silver lined clothes I was considering are X-Static, X-Scent, or Articshield X-System which all can viewed at www.sportsmanguide.com , So have any of you used these? Any thoughts? I am thinking you get what you pay for , but there is always that diamond in a rough when found. Give me your thoughts or testimonials.

[/align]
Do you really believe what ads and sponsorships tell you about either? Not to be a smart *** but the stuff does not work. I was excited for a couple of years about both, bought one of the first Scent Blocker garments years ago, andthen did my research into carbon.

After buying the very first Scent Blocker suit that ever came out, the bulky thing that makes you feel like the Michelin Man, I have spent a lot of time reading and looking into everything I could on the topic. Especially when they came out with comfortable,paper thin carbon cloth. My finding is this.

Spend your money on good quality garments with a good fabric and weave. Use a proven scent neutralizer and spray down and hunt the wind. There will be folks that will credit a kill with garments. There are also guys here in Missouri that will drive nothing but a Ford because they shot there biggestbuck ever from the window of the truckoneyear.

Good questions. Hope you all are not fired up by my comments like ArcheryTalk boys. Man!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: losthwy

Do a google search for "carbon suits" before you invest any money in them.
Good advice losthwy. This topic, as you can tell, frosts my marketing-cap ethics. Good hunters do certain things religiously and have success. Some use these garments and have success, and credit partly to the garment. In reality guys, you have gotten better and you are a good deer hunter. You probably take showers, spray your boots down blah blah blah.

Check out the information that is available on both silver and carbon.