Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

'scentlock' ???

Old 08-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Default 'scentlock' ???

Hey guys......does this stuff actually work.
I need a waterproof shell and not sure I buy into this stuff.
I can see where there may be some scent mitigation, but all the hype about 'scent free'?
I'm thinking those deer don't need many molecules in order for their attention to be got.

So what's the deal?

john
Old 08-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 'scentlock' ???

But it , it's worth every penny, dispite what other say about it. Every edge you can get on a deer is worth it. Buy it and you'll see the difference. It's expensive, but it's better than using regular clothes. Her in NY it's harder than most states to kill a big buck, ask anybody who hunts here or lives here.compare the people who have harvested huge bucks with it, as opposed to with out it since it's start. You'll find that there are more buck killed with it than without it. BUY IT!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Since Lou-lou has taken the pro side allow me to take the con .
Is a $300-400 suit lined with carbon worth the money ? No . An Army issue MOPP suit that you can get for $15 is just as effective and just as temporary , and has far more carbon . It is designed to keep aerosolized ABC elements out , so it will keep VOCs in for awhile until the carbon clogs . Also , the carbon in the hunting version , besides having far less of it , is bonded to the fabric . This means that roughly half of it's surface is permanently clogged , so it's only half as effective as it could be . "Regenerate" activated carbon in a 150 degree dryer ? Pfffftttt ! Don't make me laugh , it might drive out some stinky VOCs but it will bake the rest in where they will never come out except when a deer is downwnd .

If you really want to try carbon suits get a MOPP suit or two , gently rinse them in a tub to reduce the factory smell , then air dry outside and pack away in a scent free container until ready to use . DO NOT PUT IT IN THE WASHER . You can usually find them at the Sportsman's Guide or Cheaper than Dirt websites . A fresh carbon suit will work for about 2 weeks and then you can either throw it away or donate it to somebody who needs some warm camo .
Old 08-25-2005, 01:59 PM

Kevin is right on the mark! Save some money and do like he says.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

got to go with kevin on this one. besides, i think WAY to much is made of these products that everyone says you HAVE to have.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:48 PM

You can go to www.armygear.net and get one, in the bag, for $24.95, if you wear a small. They do have a sizing chart there. (Look at the left-hand column and go to the link marked "Hunting Suits Scent Locking."

Which is exactly what I was going to do, but I have a question first.How would you clean the MOPP suit? I seem to remember tales of people who have run them through a washer having a bunch of the carbon run out of them. (PS--I think that they'd work great with BaseSlayers underneath.)
Old 08-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Muddyemms

Which is exactly what I was going to do, but I have a question first. How would you clean the MOPP suit? I seem to remember tales of people who have run them through a washer having a bunch of the carbon run out of them. (PS--I think that they'd work great with BaseSlayers underneath.)
You're right , do not put them in the washer . Don't ask how I know that ...

When I buy new ones I rinse them off with the water hose to reduce the factory smell , then I hang them on hangers outside to air dry until they don't smell anymore . Having them get rained on helps , believe it or not . Once all trace of smells are gone I pack them in a scent free bag until needed . Alternately , you could soak the garment in a plastic tub with some Sportwash and rinse with ordinary water and then air dry . The chlorine from the water will evaporate as the garment dries or get adsorbed . Don't expect more than 2 weeks of normal use before you discard it .

You can try rewashing it , but I've been busted after trying that before . MOPP suits have something like 60 grams of carbon per square foot , about twice what a ScentLok suit does , and it's unbonded so you get to use it all . Carbon being porous also makes it a great insulator . Base Layers are unnecessary and will make you roast unless it's very cold outside .
Old 08-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

Correct me if I'm wrong, NBC suits are only used for a couple of days and then thrown away after they are opened from the plastic bag. Maybe your MOPPsuit is different. All I know is that I bought one of those cheap suits in a magazine a few years ago and it didn't work nearly as good as the scent-lok. I once was like you but after seeing what this stuff can do in the field, I changed my mind. I would never go bowhunting without it ever again. Some say it dosen't work, others say it's not scientificlly possiable, but somehow deer don't wind me when they are down wind and I'm on the ground. Is it by chance that you kill 3-4 deer a year from the ground. I doubt it.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lou-lou

Correct me if I'm wrong, NBC suits are only used for a couple of days and then thrown away after they are opened from the plastic bag. Maybe your MOPPsuit is different. All I know is that I bought one of those cheap suits in a magazine a few years ago and it didn't work nearly as good as the scent-lok. I once was like you but after seeing what this stuff can do in the field, I changed my mind. I would never go bowhunting without it ever again. Some say it dosen't work, others say it's not scientificlly possiable, but somehow deer don't wind me when they are down wind and I'm on the ground. Is it by chance that you kill 3-4 deer a year from the ground. I doubt it.
NBC and MOPP suits are the same thing , Lou-lou .
In combat areas where NBC use is possible they wear them about the same way I do , the suits are rated for 2 weeks of continuous use but must then be discarded . This is it's expected lifespan based on it's use with NBC agents , the known properties of activated carbon , and rigorous scientific testing and evaluation . If the carbon could be "regenerated" without destroying the garment I'm fairly sure that the Army would be doing so , even they like to save money sometimes.

An NBC/MOPP suit contains more carbon than ScentLok , the carbon isn't bonded and therefore losing half of it's surface area like ScentLok, costs less than 1/10th what ScentLok does , and you can still get busted regardless . You cannot eliminate all scent . I've had deer approach within feet of me in the woods while wearing a MOPP suit , and they had no idea that I was there . But I also had attractor scent out , and cover scent on me . I've had the very same experience wearing ordinary camo with cover scent , with the deer approaching from downwind in both instances . I'm not saying that carbon doesn't work , just that it isn't worth hundreds of dollars to try for yourself . When the carbon suits first came out I'll admit that I bought into the marketing hype too , but once I did some digging I found facts that changed my mind .

There are plenty of threads about it here with links to the real facts about carbon adsorbtion , look for youeself and draw your own conclusions . Or , if you really want to see what your suit and scent reduction routine can really do just try hiding from your dog .Try not to be too disappointed whenyou can't .
Old 08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

I agree it's expensive, wish it wasen't, but if there's the slightest bit of chance it works, which I think it does to an extent, it's better then nothing at all. Your right one cannot completly be scent free, but every bit helps.

Quick Reply: 'scentlock' ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.