Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Woods CANADA in big trouble

Old 11-29-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Woods CANADA in big trouble

My uncle has had his woods bag for 30 years, and I have had mine for ten they are great for long term feild opps. I was just telling a friend that he should get one. thats when I found this.

Recent Developments
In the Summer and Fall of 2005, the Management and Board of the Company reached the difficult, but inevitable conclusion, that our desire to remain in business as a domestic manufacturer of sleeping bags, outerwear, tents and other products, was no longer economically viable. On November 1, 2005, we announced internally to our staff and to our principal wholesale customers that our facility located on Birchmount Road in Toronto would cease manufacturing, on or before September 2006. That action was taken on September 28, 2006. The perception of the Board was that the heart and core of our business, the people who had manufactured Woods products for, in many cases, more than 30 years, understood the inevitability of our decision. They seemed to appreciate that the Company gave them more than ample advance notice of the decision and therefore sufficient time to prepare for its impact on their lives.

A luncheon of all remaining staff that took place on September 28th to celebrate the “End of an Era” was, in tone, more of a celebration and reunion of old friends than anything else.

The Current Situation
At present (November 2006), the remaining Woods team is heavily involved in conducting a Mammoth Warehouse Sale to make remaining inventory available to the public at remarkably attractive prices.
The sale, which completed its first Saturday/Sunday weekend on November 4th and 5th, will continue through the month of November, each Saturday (9 AM to 6 PM) and Sunday (11 AM to 5 PM), while supplies of product last. The sale is being held on the premises of Woods Canada Limited at 1430 Birchmount Road (between Lawrence and Ellesmere) in Toronto (Scarborough).

Expectations for the Future
Woods Canada Limited has been an integral part of Canadian history and heritage for over 120 years since 1885. Since its inception in 1885 and original incorporation in 1903, it has been led by a remarkably small number of Managing Directors, five. I am proud, as I have been for the past 23 years, to be the fifth. My family and I, owners of the Company, are fully committed to its future and to the continuation and enhancement of the Woods brand.

Steps have already been taken to assure that the famous Woods Arctic-style Prospector tents that were featured in 1908 at the Tercentenary of The City of Quebec and are still being made in the same fashion today, will continue to be available. Plans are also underway to assure supply to Canadian and other markets (United States, Europe, Japan and others) of famous “Heritage” Woods products, such as Woods Arctic 2, 3 and 5 Star Sleeping Bags, Woods Famous Canoe Packs, Arctic-style Parkas and Arctic Winterwear.

A wide range of popularly priced Woods products, including Spring/Summer recreational sleeping bags, family-style tents and many other products, will continue to be available, as they have since 1922, through the 480 Associate Dealer stores of Canadian Tire Corporation.

We are confident of the future of the Company and look forward to our relationship with you and the Canadian public for many years to come.

For updated information on the Warehouse Sale and on Company developments, please return to this site, www.woodscanada.com, or telephone, 416.465.6830.
We look forward to serving your needs in the future and for many years to come