Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rubber vs Leather vs Cloth

Old 11-03-2006, 06:54 AM

Default Rubber vs Leather vs Cloth

Hello guys i am new to this forum and was wondering what you guys recomended for my new pair of hunting boots. i have been told rubber is the best due to it has better scent control i dont know if this is true or not. This will be my first time hunting and i just want to have the right boots for the trip.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rubber vs Leather vs Cloth

I don't think it matters as long as you take precaution. I used to wear those camo boots from walmart to hunt elk using treestand. They nevernotice I was around. They get to about 5 - 7 yards from me. This year I bought a pair of Wolverine 12points because my feet hurts wearing those from walmart and acheived the same results. These boots are made of nylon and leather. My friend tells me different story though.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it depends a lot on your hunting application. Where and what are you going to be hunting? What are the typical weather conditions? Dry ground, wet ground, snowey ground? Rubber boots are probably not preferred for hiking up snowey mountains in Colorado. Rubber boots may be preferred in some places. Are you rifle hunting or bow hunting? Bow hunting scent control matters more than in rifle hunting.

I have always used rather heavy leather boots. I like these because they provide a lot of ankle support when walking over uneven ground littered with occasional softball sized rocks in the dark and because they protect my toes when kicking such rocks in the dark. These kind of boots are typically waterproof, at least to the extent that you can walk through 4" of water crossing a stream and not worry about getting wet feet out of the deal. These boots have beefy, lug soles -- perhaps with a few of the round "bob sole" thingeys which are particularly good in snow -- which are good for providing traction.

But different hunting environments call for different boots. I guess the north east may have a lot of boggy conditions, based on the famous LL Bean innovation of rubber boot bottoms attached to leather boot uppers.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I wear a pair of nylon boots that are heavily insulated(1,000 grams Thinsulate) when it's under 40 degrees , and some 200 gram Thinsulate pac boots(cloth uppers) when it's above that . Neither seem to bother the deer after I spray them with scent killer .
Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 PM

I will be hunting with a muzzleloader in Michigan. There is the posibility of snow this time of year and it will be pretty cold. I appericate all the input you guys have to offer and probably will go with something comfortable and use scent killer.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

i hunt with only rubber boots since i don't have to worry about getting by shoes wet or my scent. i would suggest buying lacrosse boots there reasonably price nad are very confortable