Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rubber or Leather.etc boots >

Rubber or Leather.etc boots

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber or Leather.etc boots

Old 03-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rubber or Leather.etc boots

I have been bowhunting for 3 yrs now. I have always worn knee high
rubber boots but have been thinking about switching to core tex, leather
because they breath better. Im a little woried about the scent control
issue,I do use spray on scent control on my rubber boots. I was wondering what type of boots you wear? Especialy in the early season.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:40 PM

Default RE: Rubber or Leather.etc boots

18" rubber scent covered with deer poop in the early season.

rubber bottom and leather upper boots in the winter or anything below 40 degrees with deer poop cover scent.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 PM

I have never really had a problem with deer scenting my leather boots. I do spray them down with a fall blend scent killer fairly often and dont keep them right in the house.If deer have cut my trail and get alarmed (not too often), more time than not they are sniffing where my pants or hands brushed on the grass or whatever. To be honest, although a rubber boot doesnt lay scent down, feet sweat so bad in them and the tops arent snug that everytime you move your feet, it sends a puff of your foot stink out the top. I wouldnt worry about scent with leather if you take the same precautions with them as the rest of your clothes.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

ive seen real first hand evidence that rubber is way better for scent. not always detected but it def leaves more scent. i walked in to a stand one way from the trail and my brother the other way (we were setting up scent bombs) a few different deer came by that day and about half picked up his scent where he walked but not mine. he even sprayed them with scentaway they didnt get spooked completly but got real nervous only one ran and snorted.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd stick with the knee high rubber boots. If your feet are sweaty then invest in better quality wicking socks. The scent free ability of rubber boots sprayed in Carbon Blast is awesome and seems FAR better than any leather hunting boot that I've tried!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

just pick up each boot type and smell it the ones that arent rubber will smell just like any other clothes that have been in your house and also if you were them alot in your garage or driveway they smell like oil or gas fumes a little.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:00 AM

yah im thinking of investing in some rubber boots next year but. my problem is i like my boots tight and with the rubber boot you cant make them all that tight is there any boot out there that will help me with this problem? any suggestions would be great.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

I wear Muck "woody" rubber boots pretty much all season.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Site Bouncer

I have worn both and have done well with both.

I prefer tall rubber boots only because I hunt near small creeks and it's much easier to cross them.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:37 AM

Gore tex might breathe better than rubber boots, but not much. Unless you're hiking long distances or hunting in extremely cold temperatures, you're much better off with rubber boots for bow hunting.

Quick Reply: Rubber or Leather.etc boots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.