Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Badlands back packs....not impressed. >

Badlands back packs....not impressed.

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Badlands back packs....not impressed.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Badlands back packs....not impressed.

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a new daypack. I bought a Badlands Superday for $140+ at Stoney Creek Outfitters. I got it yesterday. I took it out of the box and looked it over. I was initially very impressed, the pack looked good, had heavy-duty zippers and pulls and lots of pockets in all the right places. However, I just barely touched one of the retaining straps that is supposed to hold the water bottles on the side and it broke!! I only had the damn thing out of the box for about 2 min! Now I'm going to have to pay for shipping both ways to get it fixed and I never even used it! [:@]

As you can imagine this is enough to piss a brother off. I'm not at all impressed with these packs, especially for such a huge amount of money. Pisses me off!

I would stay away if I were you guys. I've had a Crooked Horn Outfitter day pack for about 7 years that I have used all the time (I hunt professionally) and it has help up without a single thing breaking on it.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 PM

Default RE: Badlands back packs....not impressed.

Even though it was made in Vietnam I say it was a fluke you got a bad one. I have the monster fanny and like it a lot. One of the best things going for Badlands is the lifetime warranty. They'll fix it or replace it. Just sucks for the inconvenience. Hopefully you'll get it back before you need it. It would be nice if they at least paid for the return shipping cost.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: reddog132

Even though it was made in Vietnam I say it was a fluke you got a bad one. I have the monster fanny and like it a lot. One of the best things going for Badlands is the lifetime warranty. They'll fix it or replace it. Just sucks for the inconvenience. Hopefully you'll get it back before you need it. It would be nice if they at least paid for the return shipping cost.
Warranties mean nothing if it breaks when you're on a 12 day trip. If it breaks 2 min out of the box what is it gonna do in the field under extreme conditions? Freaking rediculous. Now I'll be paying extra for it since I'll have to pay shipping both ways because of their peice of **** product made by sweatshop child labor overseas.

Screw it I'm buying Crooked Horn.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

This was the vendor's response to my complaint:

ORIGINAL me
---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 23:38:50 -0700

Hello, I ordered a Badlands superday backpack from you guys last week. I opened the
package on saturday and took it out of the box and proceeded to look it over. I
just barely touched one of the side retention cords and it broke! I only had it
out of the box for like 1 min. Needless to say I’m extremely disappointed in the
quality of this pack. I thought I was getting a top of the line pack considering
the extremely high price for a day pack. I’d like to return it for a refund or
replacement. I'm hunting this weekend and I need a pack ASAP. Have you had
problems with these packs before?

Thanks

ORIGINAL Story Creek Inc.
We will send you another pack right away. We will also include a UPS label for
you to return the defective pack. We have sold hundreds of these packs and only
one other time did a customer find a similar defect. We stand behind the
Badlands Brand 100%. We have a customer satisfaction rating that most companies
can only dream of. I too would be extremely disapointed. But we will do whatever
it takes to restore your confidence in this product. We would also like to
reassure you that all Badlands packs come with an unconditional lifetime
warranty.

We will do what ever it takes to have this pack in your hands before next
weekend.

Here is a 10% discount code"deleted" good for upto $500.00 of purcases on our
web site www.storycreekinc.com

I have to say I'm happy with the service. We'll see how long the pack lasts.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

I almost bought a Super Day pack last year but for some reason liked the Crooked Horn a little better. Seems like for once I made the right choice. I've been very pleased with the Crooked Horn.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:14 PM

I bought the Superday last year and it held up very well to the abuse I put it through during the season. I hadn't heard of crooked horn before I bought it, but from looking at them since then it seems they are very comparable.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

CrookedHorn is superb. I have had both packs in hand and I can tell you that the Crooked Horn has much heavier dutyconstruction and materials and it also feels like it's more water resistant than the Superday. However, the Superday has quite a few desirable features that the Crooked Horn doesn't. I'm not sure a Superday is worth the extra money yet. You can't go wrong with Crooked Horn though. I've used min probably 120 days a year for several years and it's still like new just dirty lol....
Old 09-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have (2) Badlands packs and I have to say they are the toughest damn packs I have ever used. I have the Super Day just like you and the Monster Fanny as well. I can promise you that you got a fluke and they will stand behind it as well as Story Creek. I am extremely rough on equipment and these packs have help up way beyond my expectations.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Badlands pack. I use it very hard, and it's held up for me extremely well. Like others said, it sounds like you got a fluke. Hopefully your next one will hold up, like they normally do.