Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wool Clothing

Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wool Clothing

That's exactly how it works. It'll wick to the outermost layer. When I wear it under fleece with a nylun shell and move around the shell may be soaked but I'm dry!Cotton is the worst!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:10 PM

I use wool. I think it is a good choice but a little heavey. But I like natural fibers. The very best is Filson. The Filson Double mACKINAW is legendary and warm but it is about 300 bucks.
Columbia makes some good reasoably priced camo wool jackets and pants that are water resistant. My elk hunting paertner has a set that he got from cabela's on sale for 150 for the set.
I usually use a combo of wool and polypro underwear. Wool performs well when wet and is absolutely quiet in the woods.
okcmco
Old 06-18-2006, 04:36 AM

I have to say I would take wool over any man made material out there..It keeps you warm when it gets wet and it dosn't make any noise when moveing around.It's a bit heavy when wet though but I am not goanna wear it in 40+degree weather...The worse thing I can think about useing wool is when going thru briars..Almost wears you out trying to get thru a50yrdbriar patch..
Old 06-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always wondered why my arm pits stunk so bad. the poly propelene epedition weight cloths i have is no good at fighting the bacteria. i dont think you can go wrong either way. i say try everything in different combinations till you find what works. i think most of it is will power or sugar pill effect anyway. but i will have to say theres nothing like a BIG OLE BUCK to warm you up quick.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:08 PM

When you are buying wool be sure to look for Merino Wool. It is softer, less scratchy, better at keeping a body regulated (both warm and cool) andbetter at wicking moisture than regular rag wool. Filson uses it exclusively.Most of the better high end wool clothing is Merino from other manufacturers as well. I have had great success with both Merino and synthetic underwear and layering pieces. I have had better luck with synthetics during more vigorous activities and tend to lean to the wools when the activity isn't as vigorous. I think it boiles down to personal preference and expected use.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Filson... oh so good. I use wool for dry cold where I don't mind the added weight, and wore it in Norway above the Arctic Circle on the Kirkenes side. I use synthetics where I am expecting dampness.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

For my part I have little experience with wool. However, I did spend one whitetail season guiding in western alberta and the outfitters and several of the other guides were never seen without their wool bibs (with a poly layer underneath). I think the durability, quietness and warmth are what they liked. I would note that I am by no means an expert but the guys I am speaking of sure are. they all have 10+ years guiding exprerince in Alberta, NWT and the Yukon so their word is gold in my books.

I know that my next major cold weather camo puchase will likely be wool. I think the brand they were wearing was King of the Mountain. Btw, not cheap.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:55 PM

I have the Weatherby wool pants. They are really warm, but the wind blows through them if it's really blowing. The weave isn't tight enough. Other than that they are comfortable and have huge pockets. They are also extremely quiet.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear wool, it is second to none. But you have to get the good stuff. And yeah it ain't cheap. I wear King of the Mountain and I ain't rich. I have been picking up a piece every year until you have the outfit. It is definetely warm even when wet and its cool when it's warm out.Itis windproof, and blood washes right out!King of the mountain carries great warranty as long as you take care of it and don't dry it and shrink it to your kids size. If you are on the market for wool, you have to give them a look. The other brand is Sleeping Indian which is a guy who use to work for King of the Mountain. In my opinion King of The Mountain is the BEST!Here is a link. Read up.

http://www.kingofthemountainonline.com/wool.htm
Old 07-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I use a polar fleece jacket and wool pants and socks with a synthetic wool blend long underwear.
Elkshed