Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wool Clothing Q

Old 02-26-2003, 12:18 PM

Default Wool Clothing Q

I bought my first wool coat just after xmas and I notice that it has a smell to it like...well....wool. My question is, will this be a cause for concern? Will deer smell it easy? If I can smell it, they can smell it for miles. Or do they pay no mind to the wool smell? Anybody have experience with hunting in wool and deer smelling you?
Old 02-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wool Clothing Q

I have a Columbia wool jacket that I use for hunting elk/deer with. When you first take it out of the plastic it has a tendency to have that new smell to it. After a few wet outings in the woods and leaveing it outdoors overnight will desperse this smell, and I never had a problem with deer smelling it as this is my favorite cold weather jacket for hunting as it is also very quiet for slipping around in the bush. I think you made a smart choice in choicing wool.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wear wool all the time, no problems. If they can smell your wool jacket, they' ve already smelled you!!!! (To Late)
Old 02-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your worried about it go out and buy some Scent Killer.Even though I use all scent Lok clothes it still comes in handy when your head starts to sweat under the hood.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:39 AM

If you can' t leave it ouside , place in a garbage bag with some baking soda.
I hunt in wool for Muzzleloader and rifle. I need to have the coat shirt and pants drycleaned. I will ask them to double rinse . I will then let them hang out for weeks before storing away.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:20 AM

A couple of weeks before hunting let it hang outside, this will help some. You can wash it in baking soda also. Like Skeeter 7mm said usually if they smell the coat they have already smelled the person wearing it.