Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which Binocs?

Old 06-03-2006, 10:14 PM

Default RE: Which Binocs?

I changed my mind. I would probably go with the Nikon Premier LXL. My pride would want me to get a Nice German or Austrian glass, but I think the Nikons are the best
okcmco
Old 06-11-2006, 08:55 PM

for the money cant go wrong with the nikon monarchs
Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 PM

I have the old Zeiss 10x42's that are armored and love them. I tried the new victory and Leica's and found these to be about the best I could get. Got mine through Cabelas for 699.00. Great deal on some awesome binocs.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just picked up a set of Zeiss Conquest Compact 10x. Great little set w/ extremely clear picture.
I love them. Can't wait to try them out.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with VA HEAD HUNTER, for the money can't go wrong with the Nikon Monarchs. I have the 8X42's and love them.
Are there better binos out there, sure, but they cost 4 to 5 times as much as the Monarch ATB's.
The Monarchs received a very good review from Cabelas.

Mike

Old 06-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I kinda went thru the same dilemma last fall. I have always used inexpensive optics $200-$300 per pair. I started hunting out west about ten years ago and finally last fall I decided if I were going to continue spending the money to hunt out of state I need to make sure I was getting maximum benefit. So I decided to buy a high end pair of binos. I made several trips to Cabela's and spent a lot of time looking thru all of the various brands and models. I researched warranties and read everything I could find as far as reviews and tests. I bought the Swarovski New SLC in 10x42. Although the ELs were nicer ergonomically I could not see any difference in the quality/clarity/brightness of the image they provided. I couldn't talk myself into putting out the extra $400 just because I could wrap my hands all the way around the barrels. I'm not saying the ELs aren't better, I just couldn't see the difference. I'm really happy with my SLCs.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:23 PM

I had some really nice Leica ultravids. They broke. When I sent them in for repair they sent me a $350 estimate. I called them to ask why they were not covered under the lifetime warranty. They told me it was because I never sent in the little registration card when I bought them. I never send those in as they tend to create more junk mail. I was pretty furious with their really bad customer service and was not about to put any more $s in their pockets. I sold them on eBay.

I had a similar experience with Steiner. They sent me a new pair and it was an upgraded pair from the ones I sent in. Night and day difference in customer service.

So for me, I would go for the Swarovski's if money was no issue as I don't care how rich I ever get I will never put another cent into Leica's pocket.

BTW- When the Leica's broke I bought a $400 pair of Leupold Wind River 10x42sand they are pretty darn good considering the price.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:44 AM

Leica are the best glass out right now. I have swarovski 8x42 Els but I want a set of the leica. A friend has them and the are slightly better than my swaro's.