Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Deer feeders

Old 05-07-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Deer feeders

I'm researchingfeeders, either purchase or make. If you made your feeder, I would appreciate you sharing on how you went about it. Where we will be hunting, there are also hogs, and I have seen the damage they can do to a feeder. Also, what choice of an automatic feeder, plan on feeding year around.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer feeders

I made a 30gal feeder out of a barrel. I started with an OnTime feeder, screwed itr to the bottom of the barrel with sheet metal screws. I then bolted L brackets to the top of the feeder and bolted a chain to the brackets. I also have a hog problem and I plan to use a winch from an old boat trailer to hang the feeder. I will lag bolt the winch to a tree, then run the cable through a pulley that I will hang on a stout limb. It will be easy to raise and lower when its time to fill it and the hogs won't be able to reach it. I also plan to put a few heavy fence panels around it.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer feeders

If your dealing with hogs your choices are either to put a good fence around the feeder or hang it. Very little in this world is hog proof!
Sweeney makes a good feeder but I think they are over priced. Game country and the better moultrie feeders are good. If you get a chance to look in a Texas Trothy Hunter magazine they showcase most feeders. I personally stronly urge against On Time due to a serious drop in quality in the past couple of years