Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

CLIMBING STANDS

Old 01-20-2006, 01:32 PM

Default RE: CLIMBING STANDS

Bakers-Wow do those stands go back. I have had two of the Bakers since I started useing climbers back in the 70's but then again back then they were about the only thing going. And they were a sit down-stand up climber. I always carried some kind of locking strap to wrap around the tree and the v bar. They were dog gone heavy. But then again they were made out of plywood. Actually I think I still have them in the top of the garage and they are still ready to go. But they did fold flat and other than being heavy were realitivly easy to carry.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

I finally got a chance to use my new Equalizer last night and I am delighted with it. It was easy to put together, packs just as well (although not flat...weighs 20 pounds) as most others, easy enough to pack in and really easy and much quiter than my API to set up. The leveling system is really cool and works very well. I took it to about 25 feet and felt really secure. You can sit facing the tree or away from the tree and the seat is comfortable enough to allow for long sits.
I was initially skeptical about the leveling system, but it works and I like it.
I ordered it over the phone and it arrived the next day via FEDEX Ground...NC to MD.
I give it an 8.5 on a 10 scale.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bakers-Wow do those stands go back.
the bad thing is i can remeber how great we all thought they were[:-], then again at the time i guess they were pretty neat, BTW somebody stole mine, isure hope the got some good use out of it[:@]
Old 01-21-2006, 03:36 PM

i love my summit but i was checking out the equlizer. I like it and am considering buying one, i just want to know how exactly the gear works on it, i watched the video several times but am not sure if i trust it fully, could your possibly send some pictures of it and how it works?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

I can't get pictures, but can tell you how it works. Each piece, top and bottom has a worm gear built into the left (as you face it) side rail. One end of the cable is attached to that worm gear and the other end goes around the tree and then into the channel lock on the right side rail. As you climb and need to adjust the level you simply take a few turns on the hand crank of each worm gear and you're all set. It's very stable, sets up and climbs much more quietly than my API and packs pretty easy too. I recommend it.
Good luck.
Craig
Old 01-22-2006, 12:45 PM

M.T. sounds like you are close to my age (60) and if you think about it I believe that they were the first carry in carry out tree stands that were available. back then if you wanted a tree stand you built one and then hoped that it was still there the next year or someone else was not in it. I remember going out one morning well befor dayligt only to find someone in my tree built stand. As he was bigger than I am guess who left. The Baker ended that and you could also move it to where the deer were. But you did not go up any slick barked trees, that was like trying to climb a telephone pole or a firehouse pole. A quick slide down was in your future. Yup been there did that. Only once. Personally I learned to love cotton woods for their thick bark. It is funny but even now useing both a Lone Wolf or Loggy Bayou I still have a tendency to look for cotton woods.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default CLIMBING STANDS - tight top

Any ideas on a climber that can safely get tight on the top after climbing?

WhereI hunt I havemany trees thatwould be excellentother than the factthey are only6-8 in wide at 12 ft off the ground .

Old 01-23-2006, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CLIMBING STANDS - tight top

vadeer--
6-8 inches is an awful small tree to climb. I believe that most climbers minimum is 10 or 12 inches. My API is 12 and my equalizer 10...or the other way around...I'm not sure. If you found one that would climb that small of a tree, I would recommend securing it to the tree with a ratchet strap once you get where you want to be.
Good luck,
Craig
Old 01-24-2006, 07:04 PM

Summit is gonna be hard to beat. I have two goliaths...although not very light but their stands are great. I've had several companies stands over the years but the summits are the only climbers that I still have around.

-lee-
Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

NavyDeerHunter - I saw your post about the equalizer treestand and went to their site. I have ordered the free DVD and am very tempted to order one.
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind my being nosey
Whatkind of hunting will you be doing out of this stand? gun, bow ...
How much was shipping to MD?
What part of MD are you in?
Thanks

Quick Reply: CLIMBING STANDS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.