Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Question Pop Up Blinds?

Old 10-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question Pop Up Blinds?

Looking to buy a pop up blind for Turkey etc, & wanted to know what everyone thought was the best & which ones to stay away from. I've only hunted in one & hated it, I could not see or move, but I know better ones are out there.
Thanks for the help!
Old 10-19-2005, 01:32 PM

Default RE: Question Pop Up Blinds?

I use the Ameristep Penthouse. It looks huge in the store, but not so big in the woods. I can stand in it fully, plenty of room for two people. The supposed scent control system I feel is pretty much a joke. It's easy to set up, takes a little time to take down.

I set it up in August for deer season and leave it up until sometime in February or March once the weather gives me a break. Leaving it out so long doesn't seem to cause problems with it.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:26 AM
Dominant Buck

A lot depends on your intended use of it .
If you plan to bow hunt you'll need a roomier blind with a higher ceiling or a zip open roof panel . If all you do is gun hunt you can get by with a shorter one .

I have several of them:
Ameristep Outhouse - gun only , plenty of windows , definitely one man only .
Guide Gear - polyhedral style , room for two with guns , one with bow , has ZO roof panel .
Ameristep turkey blind(2 sizes) - open top , very light , one man only .

There are plenty of different styles and sizes out there , look around until you find one that suits your particular situation .
Old 10-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think that the Ameristep Doghouse and Doghouse TSC are two excellent blinds in terms of overall size, portability and design. The standard Doghouse is big enough for most folks to use in just about any application. Some longer draw length archers complain of it being slightly cramped so the 8 inch wider TSC model might be the better option in such a case.

Price is the best part....around $70 for the Doghouse and $120 or so for the TSC model most places.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll second the doghouse suggestion. I picked up one for hunting a certain area that moving around or sitting deep in the woods like I prefer just isn't an option. Also thislocationdidn't allow me to place a box blind and wasn't enough ample coverto provide me with comfort. Up here it can be darn right cold come the rut in november and those are the days I hang out for the entire day hoping to catch or entice a cruising buck. It pops upin a snap and after a few trial runs it goes back pretty easy as well.I have had 2 guys in it with no problem, you can't stand up fully though.It is waterproof I can attest to that and doesthe job at keeping the wind/elements out. The price simply can't be beat imo for quality, features and function. The only quam I have is the tent pegs it included suck for my usage, I set it up and leave it. Found when the wind gets blowing they started to wiggle free. A simple fix though either commericial tent pegs or like I did madesome and drove them deep into the earth. I find the additional tie downs to begood for securing and helping to keep the noise down on those balmy days we seem to have here in saskatchewan! I find the strings on the corners to add natural vegetation to be a neat idea it allso helps take the boxy corners away when you are some what exposed. All in all I am satisfied and consider it money well spent.