Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about ground blinds >

Question about ground blinds

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about ground blinds

Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Spike

Default Question about ground blinds

The ground blind I use is a cheaper knock off of a Double Bull. It has windows 360 degrees all around but I close off the rear ones and only use the front ones to stay hidden with the backdrop of the blind. I put mesh screens over the windows because I have heard how the "black holes" will spook deer and the mesh doesn't affect the arrow flight at all. My problem is that I hate looking out the mesh, especially as sunset approaches it gets harder and harder to see. I would rather look out open windows. Do open windows or the "black holes" really spook deer?
Old 11-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about ground blinds

It sure does! But if you leave the blind in area where the same deer see it over and over. They do get used to it. But remember the outsider buck that comes in will probably spook. Just something to watch out for.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

i just leave my windows open on mine, but like bullmoose38 said an outsider might get scared.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Spike

That's what I was thinking. The only problem is that other hunters are in the area and I am worried that if I leave it there it will get stolen.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an outsider come i the other day......not scared in the least little bit, but maybe it was because he was mroe interested in tryink to kick a little BB's tail [8D]
Old 11-24-2008, 03:28 AM

I use the g20 ameristep blind and leave the large widow half way down.
Brush your blind in, and you should be ok.

I had 2 deer not get spooked by the dark window so far a doe which I missed and Saturday morning a nice buck about 35 yards I didn't shoot at.

Both was definitly staring at the blind but went right back to walking.

My question is what kind of chair do you guys use in your blinds?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had some deer walk within 2 yards of mine with the windows down, and I shot one of them, Doe. I have had several deer within the 20-40 yard range come by me without ever spooking, and I got busted by a monster down wind. I do not believe he spooked because of the windows, I know he smelt me, because he was looking all around for what he was smelling before he took off. I really don't have the answer you want do I? I have had success with all the windows down, but I am brushed in really good.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:52 AM

I took a pic of this spike with my cell phone as he walked about 5 yards in front of my blind.
If I had it to do over I would / should have shot him because it was my only opportunity this year.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:38 AM
Spike

This makes me think I should take the mesh off and just start brushing it in. I guess I'll have to get there a little earlier to get branches and brush set up. As for my chair, I use the Double Bull archery chair. It is great to shoot out of but isn't the most comfortable after several hours of not moving.