Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them >

ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Old 06-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Lots of talk in here about which is "supposed" to be "the best" ATV, for whatever magazine article read or where ever folks get their info.

BUT!

What ATV do you actually own & ride (make/year/model), not your uncle's or your friends or your uncle's friend's cousin, YOU PERSONALLY, Not asking if it's the best out of a gazzilion makes & models, but...............
1. What you really like about it?
2. What do you really dislike about it?
3. What would you make or set up differently on it?
4. Maybe you used to have one that was really nice. What year/model and why?
5. Also, what did it cost you?

Uncle Matt (in IL)

PS....This poll excludes any ATV's equipped with the UOM features (underwater operational mode). LOL
Old 06-18-2005, 08:20 AM

Default RE: ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Yamaha 2003 bigbear
Has great pulling power and is big enough for any job and not to big for fun
I need to adjust the back shocks to be a little stiffer
I wouldnt set up anything else differently
It cost around $4300
Old 06-18-2005, 08:39 AM

00 Honda Foreman.
Great pulling power.
I wish it had 2wd mode (I can add it, but am told it'll cost about $250 for the WARN gizmo)
I wouldn't change anything on it. I've hauled deer/elk out with it - I'll pulled logs around with it and infrequently I've ridden it for fun.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:31 AM

1997 Honda Fourtrax
I like how it holds up and how rugged it is.
I dont really have any dislikes about this quad.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 2002 honda rubicon.I like the real automatic transmission instead of a belt drive.It is very smooth and you can shift manually if you wish to,unlike a belt drive.I also like the fact that it is extremely reliable and requires little maintenance.The only changes necessary are better tires and the addition of a wich and handwarmers.I live in Canada so price is not applicable.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:45 PM

2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400 2wd. It has done everything I need it to do. I steer clear of water (in my opinion any machine's worst nightmare!). I bought it last June as an '03 leftover for $4,000. I pretty much like everything about it. No problems.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

1999 Polaris 425 Magnum 4x4
2004 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4
2005 Polaris Ranger 4x4
2005 Kubota RTV 900

I like the dependability of all my Polaris's. The automatic transmissions,on demand 4 wheel drive mode, very good ride.They do everything I ask of them.Cost $4300(Magnum 425) $5200(Sportsman 400)

The Kubota is fairly new to my collection. It is more of a workhorse than a playtoy. It's little 3 cylinder diesel engine performs well, the power steering is really nice to have, it's effortless to steer. The RTV 900 is mostly made of sheet steel (unlike my Ranger), it has an hydraulic bed dump which is pretty neat. The down side of it is that it has a very rough ride due to it's leaf spring suspension, it's hydrostatic drive will dump you out if you let of the accelerator to quickly, it's top speed is 25 mph. Cost $ 11,000

I truly love the Polaris Ranger 4X4. It does well for fun and also for working around the ranch. It, like the ATV's has a real good soft ride( the rear suspension is adjustable),has a 1000lb bed capacity and can tow a 1500 lb trailer.I have towed a 16ft trailer with it with no problems.It has on demand 4 wheel drive and a rear differential which can be switched from limited slip to locking with a flip of the switch. Although not needed alot it will exceed speeds of over 40 MPH. I equipped this one with a fiberglass cab and glass windshield which folds out(great I might add in cool weather and rainy days). Cost $11,300

life is good.....doubleA
Old 06-18-2005, 10:04 PM

Honda foreman s 2000
Kawasaki 300 bayou 4x4 1992

The honda is the most dependable machine i have ever owned. maintenance costs are pretty much none.
I wish it was 2wd/4wd changeable .
I added aftermarket disc brakes and many add ons.
super pulling machine!

The kawasaki have many hard miles on it and is still going. though it is in no way as dependable as the honda. i wouldnt buy another.

I am considering a Yamaha rhino or kubota rtv. the rhino is probably going to win out but i have wait and see what hondas side x side is like first.
But the rhino is really on my mind!
Old 06-18-2005, 10:08 PM

What ATV do you actually own & ride (make/year/model), not your uncle's or your friends or your uncle's friend's cousin, YOU PERSONALLY,
PS....This poll excludes any ATV's equipped with the UOM features (underwater operational mode). LOL
Thats just wrong!!!!!!!!!LOL
Old 06-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

2003 Honda Rancher ES, dependability, price! It all equals QUALITY! I had a 86 Honda 3 Wheeler, that was still going strong when I went to the quad! With Honda's quality, this could be the last bike I ever get, unless I decide to go bigger. But that would be a Honda too!

Quick Reply: ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.