Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them >

ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 AM

Default RE: ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

I have an 05, well actually two 05 Honda Ranchers.

1. What you really like about it?
It is very reliable. I have been riding several times before when my friends 4 wheelers would fail on them.
2. What do you really dislike about it?
It's two wheel drive. I don't know if that really matters though, because I have only gotten stuck once, and a Grizzly 660 4X4 got stuck in the same hole. I have gone through holes that others got stuck in.
3. What would you make or set up differently on it?
I would fix the clutch up a little. It is pretty much on the foot rest which makes it hard to put your foot under it with boots on.
5. Also, what did it cost you?
$3650, my dad is good friends with the dealer.

[/quote]
Old 06-20-2005, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

2003 Honda Rancher ES, dependability, price! It all equals QUALITY! I had a 86 Honda 3 Wheeler, that was still going strong when I went to the quad! With Honda's quality, this could be the last bike I ever get, unless I decide to go bigger. But that would be a Honda too!
How does the ES hold up for you? I am looking into getting a new 2005 Rancher ES but I hear that ES is unreliable compared to the footshifter.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I run a 1995 Polaris Xplorer 4X4 400 cc. I bought it new for around $4200.00 This has been a great machine. Automatic Transmission. High and low range. Full four wheel drive on demand or it will be in only two wheel for easy trail riding. This wheeler has lots of power. Because it is 2 cycle it has over 30 horse. It will pull trees out of the woods for firewood, and has pulled out three deer at once, all tied to the back end. It has automatic oil injection so there is no mixing with the gas, and when you need to.. this thing will really move. I currently have over 5000 miles on it, pushing 6000 actually and am still on the orginal chain and sprocket. With the disc brakes operated by hand or foot, you can really slow this down fast when you need to. It also has break lights, and besides the normal head lights in the front there is a large spot light head light under the handle bars that shines into the direction you are turning, not the only area out in front of the machine.

It does not have independant suspension. It has a solid rear end. Many people do not like that but when you learn to ride a solid rear end, it is not a big deal. That is one reason for the great pulling power of the machine, and its ability to really pound through the muck and mud. Some of the places I have been in, normally people would avoid. Our group looks for those kind of places. Beside using it for hunting, scouting, bear baiting, and getting back into some great fishing spots, I plow snow with the machine. Living where I do we get massive snow amounts but the pushing power of the Polaris has never let me down.

When I bought this machine it was rated as one of the best out there for that year. Now it is just one of the smaller engine size machines out on the market, but it still runs great and it all the machine I need.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Icedragon, in my two years of experience with the ES, I've had no problems.I guess only time will tell, but Honda usually does their homework before putting something out on the market.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

I've got two, and can't say a bad thing about either.

I have a 1982 Honda Big Red (3 wheeler), actually bought it in l982. That was before they had drive shafts and reverse, just ancient chain drive.It's on it's second set of back tires, and 3rd front tire, excluding tires, I have spent a grand total of $300.00 on it since 81. I have been using it on my part time job with USDA , since l990. Just today, it pretty much ran from sunup to 3 p.m. I paid a grand total of $1500.00 for it new. Hard to beat a Honda.

In l990 I bought a new Yamaha Prohauler 250, gave $3600.00. It was or is a l989 and was still in the box when I bought it.Don't mistake it for the new Prohaulers Yamaha has come out with. I looked at the new ones and all they are is a little bit more powered golf cart.
All I've ever done to the Yamaha, is a set of tires. I hunt swamp land, water and mud everywhere and with the new and larger tires, I've only had to winch it out once, and that was with a come a long.

Just goes to show, you don't necessarily need all those big horse power machines.

dog1
Old 06-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I havea 2003 Bombardier Quest 500 4X4 as my main bike.

I have been more than pleased with it over the past 2 years. I like the power and comfort. I also like the engineering. Everything is pretty easy to clean/check.

I do not like the size and weight. At 800lbs dry, and 47" wide it is a horse. It's a tight fit in places that other quads go right through.

My cost was $4600. They still are selling a similar bike new for just under $5K where I bought mine. Pretty good deal.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

i got a honda big red 3 wheeler from my grandpa, 185cc. dont know how much he paid for it back in about 1990, but since then the only work that was done on it was when my brother pulled the pull cord on the starter too hard and pulled it out. this thing is in great shape and starts in 1-2 pulls, even after we took it out for the first time since winter. honda is the best for ATV's
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660.

1. Hi and low beam headlights are below the front cargo rack. Selectable between 2wd/4wd/diff lock. Plenty of horsepower and plenty stable enough to handle my brush buster on rough terrain. Liquid cooled engine.Decent turning radius. Hi/low automatic transmission.Good ground clearance. Independent front and rear suspension. Nice wide front and rear fenders that protect my legs from mesquite, acacia, and lotebush.

2. The oil filter could be a little easier to get to when I change the oil.

3. Aside from the oil filter, I can't think of much.

4. I put many miles on a Honda Big Red 3-wheeler. It is fine for joy riding, but can't hold much cargo and is unstable on uneven terrain. On warm days, you have to be riding fast enough to get a little breeze blowing across that little air cooled engine or your pants get uncomfortably hot in a hurry.

5. $6,500.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

2005 Kawasaki praire 700
great power and speed
gets thru the mud very well
would like it to have been independent suspension
got new in feb05 paid 6485.00
Old 07-13-2005, 08:55 AM

i have 2000 suziki 500 quad 4+4 manual shift 5 speed that i bought new. they make them in an auto shift but i like the shifter. i feel it gives you better engine and handling control. suziki was the first to built four wheelers and the first for a 4 wheel drive way back in the 80's. so i trust their know how. i used to buy all honda's until they went over priced. honda's are great machines but too many toys on them that can go bad in the years to come and i think you just do not need them. in 5 years and over 5000 miles the only thing that i have done to this quad was a front wheel bearing and new set of tires. i replaced the tires with a set of 589's and it goes like a tractor. they were also voted quad of the year again. we use them for hunting, working on our land, draging trees,trailors, you name it. we use them for everything you can think of. also when you are in 4-wheel drive you actually have 4-wheel drive. not one in the front and one in the back or two in the back and one up front. it is true 4-wheel drive.

Quick Reply: ATV, 4 wheeler, quad, whatever you call them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.