Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Wounded Boar Charge

Old 04-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Well either way, it's a nice Boar.
I'll drink to that!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
That hog WAS NOT CHARGING! It was simply running blindly. Poor shooting caused this to happen. Put the first round in the right place and the hog goes 'flop". There are very few true charges, despite what people say and this wasn't one of them. Notice ow the thing was running in a looping pattern. A full charge is direct and not looping.
Flags ole buddy, you must not get much hog hunting under your belt bud. It aint often you get a "bang flop" on a hog. Nervous system interruption is about the only way. Neck or back (high shoulder). Otherwise they run. Damn tough critter is a hog my friend. Now yes I have shot several heart shot through the shoulder with my Big Bore rifles and Handguns or Slugs with a bang flop result but trust me. It aint that dang often that they don't high tail it for at least 20 or so yards. More than likely 50+. And I have shot well over 2000 hogs over the years with MANY various calibers and cartridges.

Now granted I will agree with you on the poor shooting on the running shots but his very first shot looked spot on perfect.

As far as getting "very few charges" goes, let me haul you to a few places I hunt them critters and you will change your view on that subject about as quick as you will have to change your drawers! I hunt a few places in Texas where them hogs are meaner than a Alligator with a toothache AND hemorrhoids! Same with a couple of places Bama and Georgia. Suckers are just plain old mean.

But I do in fact agree with you Flags on that one instance NOT being a charge. Trust me though, charges happen way more often than you might think. Hogs are a tough and very dangerous animal when hurt, cornered or just plain in a bad friggin mood.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think if you shot them in the ear like flags and I do you would get a "bang flop" every time with just about any centerfire caliber and decent bullet you put there. I've certainly not shot 2000 of them, but every one I have shot didn't go a bodies length. That certainly eliminates any charge.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay ear shot (head) will produce a bang flop yes. But unless you have a great rest and lots of time to "squeeze" in you aren't getting a great head shot opportunity. That's actually a small target and always on the move. Not a shot I like to take in the field. Neck or high shoulder is my preference for a good clean kill shot. If for some reason I miss spine, I have a much greater chance of hitting vital organ or major artery (neck). Head shot's are either hit, miss, or jaw. Granted they are hogs and invasive pain's in the a$$ but I hate to see any animal suffer. Just prefer the highest percentage shot taken to insure it goes down clean and quick.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice boar, DNS.

Whether or not the boar was charging DNS, the net result could easily have been the same, a trip to the hospital or worse.

Yeah, i like to shoot hogs in the ear too. But you don't always get an ear shot. i've double lunged hogs that went over 200 yards. Out of the last 15-20 hogs i've killed only one bang flopped. He weighed 230 pounds and was hit right behind the crook in the front leg with a .530 round ball from my New Englander muzzleloader.

Last edited by falcon; 04-29-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Okay ear shot (head) will produce a bang flop yes. But unless you have a great rest and lots of time to "squeeze" in you aren't getting a great head shot opportunity. That's actually a small target and always on the move. Not a shot I like to take in the field. Neck or high shoulder is my preference for a good clean kill shot. If for some reason I miss spine, I have a much greater chance of hitting vital organ or major artery (neck). Head shot's are either hit, miss, or jaw. Granted they are hogs and invasive pain's in the a$$ but I hate to see any animal suffer. Just prefer the highest percentage shot taken to insure it goes down clean and quick.
Whether it was a charge or just a 200+ pound bowling ball coming at you doing 25-30 MPH, unless you are an Olympic sprinter your options are limited. Kill it. freeze and hope for the best, move someplace else or invite topgun or oldtimer over to argue it to death.

I shot one head on, 7 x 57 R, bullet hit just behind the skull into the neck, traveled most of the length of the spine and exited out the back of the hump. That Hog went down in a pile. I walked back to my truck and got my young dog, figuring he could worry the carcass a little while I gutted it. When we got back my dog took one sniff and proceeded to try to eat that pig, starting at the rectum. That Hog popped back up and my dog grabbed that Hog by the back leg and they proceeded to go around in circles. The Hog finally broke loose and headed into the thick brush. The dog went in after it, after a minute or so the dog came back out and ran all they way back to my truck. I headed into the brush, really dark out, even with a light I could only see a few yards into the brush. I hear a snort from my front left, another from directly in front, another from my front right and decided the best choice I could make right then was to back out of that brush and join the dog back at the truck until the sun came up.

I wish I would have known Oldtimer back then, I could have asked him what those Hogs were thinking.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Every hog I've shot was out of a blind in South Texas with a rest just like bench shooting at a paper target and very simply if I didn't get the standing head shot shot I wanted I didn't shoot. The animals have their head down eating corn so there is no chance of missing or movement to cause a miss the way a hogs head is built! In or right below the ear is nowhere near the jaw in a hog as compared to the small area of an ungulate where that might happen. That is the only animal I would ever do that shot on though because of exactly what you stated and regardless of what I'm shooting at I take no chance on wounding something!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-29-2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Whether it was a charge or just a 200+ pound bowling ball coming at you doing 25-30 MPH, unless you are an Olympic sprinter your options are limited. Kill it. freeze and hope for the best, move someplace else or invite topgun or oldtimer over to argue it to death.

I shot one head on, 7 x 57 R, bullet hit just behind the skull into the neck, traveled most of the length of the spine and exited out the back of the hump. That Hog went down in a pile. I walked back to my truck and got my young dog, figuring he could worry the carcass a little while I gutted it. When we got back my dog took one sniff and proceeded to try to eat that pig, starting at the rectum. That Hog popped back up and my dog grabbed that Hog by the back leg and they proceeded to go around in circles. The Hog finally broke loose and headed into the thick brush. The dog went in after it, after a minute or so the dog came back out and ran all they way back to my truck. I headed into the brush, really dark out, even with a light I could only see a few yards into the brush. I hear a snort from my front left, another from directly in front, another from my front right and decided the best choice I could make right then was to back out of that brush and join the dog back at the truck until the sun came up.

I wish I would have known Oldtimer back then, I could have asked him what those Hogs were thinking.
No need for your smartazz remarks MC! Also, that bullet might have gone the length of the spine, but it certainly didn't hit the spine to any extent or it wouldn't have got back up and run off! That experience you had is exactly why I shoot them where I do and they don't get back up!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-29-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-30-2015, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Every hog I've shot was out of a blind in South Texas with a rest just like bench shooting at a paper target and very simply if I didn't get the standing head shot shot I wanted I didn't shoot. The animals have their head down eating corn so there is no chance of missing or movement to cause a miss the way a hogs head is built! In or right below the ear is nowhere near the jaw in a hog as compared to the small area of an ungulate where that might happen. That is the only animal I would ever do that shot on though because of exactly what you stated and regardless of what I'm shooting at I take no chance on wounding something!
I never use a blind when hog hunting, hence why I never take a head shot, well almost never. There have been a few times I had a good rest to help. And you would be surprised Top how many hogs get holes in their jaw, and yes just below the ear is jaw. Granted it's a bit further down on the head than a deer but not that far. Since I am usually on foot or kneeling beside a tree or bush I really don't have that steady of a rest so I go for the highest percentage (biggest) target. If I am long gunning (The AR10 7mm.08) then most likely I am prone with the Bi-Pod down. That would be neck shooting time. Of course if I have my "sausage maker" (.458 SOCOM) I'll bowl the sucker over with a shoulder shot. Those 300gr Horns tend to make a point
Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck

Friend you need a Drahthaar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.