HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wounded Boar Charge
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 AM
Mickey Finn
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Whether it was a charge or just a 200+ pound bowling ball coming at you doing 25-30 MPH, unless you are an Olympic sprinter your options are limited. Kill it. freeze and hope for the best, move someplace else or invite topgun or oldtimer over to argue it to death.

I shot one head on, 7 x 57 R, bullet hit just behind the skull into the neck, traveled most of the length of the spine and exited out the back of the hump. That Hog went down in a pile. I walked back to my truck and got my young dog, figuring he could worry the carcass a little while I gutted it. When we got back my dog took one sniff and proceeded to try to eat that pig, starting at the rectum. That Hog popped back up and my dog grabbed that Hog by the back leg and they proceeded to go around in circles. The Hog finally broke loose and headed into the thick brush. The dog went in after it, after a minute or so the dog came back out and ran all they way back to my truck. I headed into the brush, really dark out, even with a light I could only see a few yards into the brush. I hear a snort from my front left, another from directly in front, another from my front right and decided the best choice I could make right then was to back out of that brush and join the dog back at the truck until the sun came up.

I wish I would have known Oldtimer back then, I could have asked him what those Hogs were thinking.
Friend you need a Drahthaar.