Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Wounded Boar Charge

Old 04-28-2015, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wounded Boar Charge

I have to admit, there may have been some "excited shooting" there at the end when I started moving off of the proverbial X, but it all turned out well. Every time I watch the video, I get a bit scared all over again, but I kind of like it. My wife was not pleased with the video. Apparently, I am not supposed to let the hogs get that close...as if that is a rule or something, LOL.
https://youtu.be/BwiFjyURA1M

I counted 5 definite hits out of the first 6 shots in the video before the really fast shooting and only found three wounds, two of which were a single through and through of the testicles and hind quarter. It is like the hog swallowed up the shots and sealed up...pretty cool and very disturbing. You can hear some of the impacts in full speed, but they stand out better in the slow motion portion at the end

You can buy fresh underwear from Walmart in the middle of the night, in case anyone was wondering.

The boar both taped and scaled right at 250 lbs.

I hope y'all find it exciting to watch. It was certainly exciting to have happen.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Poor thing just ran the wrong way.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Poor thing just ran the wrong way.
Exactly, and IMHO with all that lead flying that pig had no idea where it was coming from and to call that an intentional charge is stretching it.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great video.

IMO: The hog intentionally changed directions and came at DNS. That's a charge in my book.

Yep, wounded boar hogs will charge. The wounded 275 pound boar was lying on it's side as i approached. Suddenly the hog jumped up and came at me full tilt. Boar died about five yards in front of me. If my muzzleloader had misfired i would been had; that hog had 4" cutters.

Another boar answered the distress call of a wounded sow and charged me.

This gentleman was torn up by a wounded hog:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs...nded-boar.html
Old 04-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by falcon
Great video.

IMO: The hog intentionally changed directions and came at DNS. That's a charge in my book.

Yep, wounded boar hogs will charge. The wounded 275 pound boar was lying on it's side as i approached. Suddenly the hog jumped up and came at me full tilt. Boar died about five yards in front of me. If my muzzleloader had misfired i would been had; that hog had 4" cutters.

Another boar answered the distress call of a wounded sow and charged me.

This gentleman was torn up by a wounded hog:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs...nded-boar.html
Nobody has said a hog won't charge, but just because one changes directions like that one in the OP video did doesn't mean it was a charge. We don't think so and you do and that is no big deal, but just each person's feeling based on what was observed. Saying it was a charge makes it a lot more interesting from the OP viewpoint though!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if I would call that a charge or not. I WOULD call it an "oh crap" moment. And from what DNS is saying, it WAS an "oh crap" moment Hogs are tough critters. That one was running dead from the first shot. If his rifle is dead on sight, then that first shot was a perfect quartering away heart shot. The 6.5 gren is a pretty mean little round. I doubt that hog ever saw him. It just knew it kept getting hit in the direction it was going so it changed directions.

Edit: And DNS, thanks for the Wally World tip but I always carry me a spare pair when hog hunting. Especially when it's with handgun

Last edited by super_hunt54; 04-29-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added a PS
Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Not sure if I would call that a charge or not. I WOULD call it an "oh crap" moment. And from what DNS is saying, it WAS an "oh crap" moment Hogs are tough critters. That one was running dead from the first shot. If his rifle is dead on sight, then that first shot was a perfect quartering away heart shot. The 6.5 gren is a pretty mean little round. I doubt that hog ever saw him. It just knew it kept getting hit in the direction it was going so it changed directions.

Edit: And DNS, thanks for the Wally World tip but I always carry me a spare pair when hog hunting. Especially when it's with handgun
I agree and I love your edit, LOL!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

That hog WAS NOT CHARGING! It was simply running blindly. Poor shooting caused this to happen. Put the first round in the right place and the hog goes 'flop". There are very few true charges, despite what people say and this wasn't one of them. Notice ow the thing was running in a looping pattern. A full charge is direct and not looping.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, I agree, probably exciting and a bit scarey to the OP but not a charge.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well either way, it's a nice Boar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.