Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog? >

What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
apparently you are a commercial pilot.
living in Hawaii fer a year, this is how we caught hogs. unbelievable sight i know, when they pulled the hawg dawgs out the truck the 1st time i died laughing...but true to his werd, the dogs never failed to deliver dinner.
I also lived in Hawaii......1960
Old 04-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Ive seen hogs hunted with many breeds of dog but it doesnt mean that they are hog hunting breeds. All the hawaiians i chat with online use airedale, greyhound, bull terrier, pit bull and german short hair pointers. Any of the above breeds are crossed never have i heard of chihuahas (not saying it didnt happen). I had a 10 pound patterdale terrier that would grab ahold of a hog but by no means could it be called catching.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Spike

bingo! there is a big difference between a dog that will catch a hog and a catchdog.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Ive seen good catch dogs from many breeds.The tighter i breed my cur dogs the rougher they get. Some bird dogs ive seen were rough too. But for consistency you just cant beat a bulldog (Am Bull, APBT or Dogo).