Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog? >

What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog?

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog?

I mean besides heart and general toughness,and how do they differ from the traits of a "strike" dog?I mean I know they need to be double tough and a lot of people use pits and with pits is there any special way to handle them.I'm just wondering and any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

You want a "smart" dog, too aggressive and they get killed or seriously injured. This subject will get more opinions than asking about the best "------- caliber." I like Walkers, saw a lot of pits get killed because their aggression outweighed their good sense. I would suggest hunting with someone who has a good dog for sale unless you already have a good one then dump the new dog(s) in with him and watch.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Spike

hey if you want a good catch dog look for a pit that listens to you no matter what to get this kind of dog you really got to raise them your self you want your catch dog to turn lose on command because if you hunt hogs alone its hard to catch the hog with your bulldog jerking the other way believe me these dogs are out there and you cant bet them
Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

The best thing you can do is look for a reputable pit breeder that raises level headed dogs. You dont want a michael vick special. I strongly suggest raising a pit from a puppy and making sure he knows you are the boss. They are strongminded dogs and will walk all over you if you let them. I prefer smaller catch dogs because my bay dogs are pretty rough and like to dog pile after the catch dog gets there. A well bred pit comes out programmed to catch hogs, you just gotta teach em to listen. Ive been around em for some time, a good one is hard to beat.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

My old catchdog Buck He was a grandson of colbys sam a famous apbt. Buck wasnt very smart but he was a damnfine bulldog.
Attached Thumbnails What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog?-l_6a600cc071faab92599af7327c2c25c2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Spike

NO DOG OR HUMAN agrression whatsoever. you don't want your bulldog tearing up your strike dogs, or worse yet, somebody elses. It's just not worth the risk. I like pits and american bulldogs, either will do the job. you don't have to buy the first one you see, there are enough around that you can shop around some. I reccommend asking the guy you buy from to take you on a hunt with the dog, no matter what it's job is, and let you see it catch before you buy. Take into consideration how the dog handles, how does he lead, does he whine or bark in the dog box, show signs of dog or human agression(automatic cull in my yard) does he catch how you want him to, can he be sent to a bay from the distance you prefer, after he catches does he calm down quickly or does he stay amped up for a while, how does the present owner remove him from the hog(called off, choked off, broke off with a breakstick) all are things to watch for. Is he normally led in close, turned out of the box, or run with the curs? will he ride an atv if that is what you want, and the number one thing, will he catch and hold a hog in a manner that you can trust until called or taken off the hog.

Last edited by catch; 04-06-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Spike

A catch dog differs from a strike dog the way a wide reciever differs from an offensive lineman. They play the same game, but their jobs are totally different. A strike dog should be expected to leave you and go find, stop, and bay a hog until you get there. They can be as loose baying or rough as you prefer. A catch dog has no responsibility to find a hog, his job is to catch, hold, and control the hog while you deal with it, and never let go until called or broken off. There should be no back up in a catch dog. You want a catch dog that wants to catch the hog, not fight it. One thing I forgot to add above is that if the seller won't take you on a hunt with the dog, walk the other way. Hope I have been of some help.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned

Honestly any dog can become a good catch dog. The trick is to beat the crap out of it when it doesn't do what you want it to do. I mean really bring it to the brink of death. It's survival instincts will kick in and really get the point across that pleasing you=survival. It can be a long process, but it's very rewarding in the end when your dog respects you and is a great hunting companion.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Wow what a training technique.......... how well do your kids listen?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

In 1965 my hunting buddy and I ordered 4 Catahoula pups from Arkansas and started training them with fresh hog skins.............In 1967 we started crossing them with Pit Bulls and in 1969 we introduced Rhrodesian Ridgeback to the mix....We ran that mix into the 80's and then introduced Cur into the cross..........We sold pups to the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Venezuela and all over Florida and Georgia.......

Up to 2000 we had 25 trained hog dogs in the field.....We ran hog dogs and killed tons of hogs from the late 60's untill 2000 when I started having health problems and had to quit........My buddy is 80 and still running hog dogs, but is down to about 5 dogs and does not go as often as he used to......

I read on here that you have to mistreat them so they will obey......Wrong!........You have to reward them when they do what you want them to do............Sometimes you have to cull the ones that have a mind of their own and are not trainable...

Hog dogs have to be fed a balnced low fat diet, wormed on regular intervals and exercised regularly for them to perform to your expectations........I might also mention, keep them off the ground and concrete in their pens. Our pens had 2x6's on one side of the pens and 12" off the ground for them to lay and sleep on.....Their pens also have to be cleaned daily, no if's or but's.....
These things I have mentioned is what will produce good hog dogs....And years of enjoyment.....

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 04-14-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.