Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog? >

What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Spike

beat the crap out of him like was said above, and that's the dog that's gonna let go of a hog when he sees you coming and leave you in a world of #2 because he's scared you're gonna beat him within an inch of his life. I'm not saying to never correct a dog, but there are better ways.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Theres two types of hog dogs, those that hunt hogs cause they want to. Its in their blood nothing they can do about it. And the special kind that hunt hogs because they love their master and know it makes him happy. Dogs of this second type are rare but man im here to tell you they lay it all out for you every time. Mistreating a dog has no purpose or place in hog hunting with dogs.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

everyone is so big on a pit bull or bull dog. all you need is a smart dog or 2. you can use chihuahua's just as well as pit bulls...the two chihuahua's go in silent ...find a hog, corner it, one goes in and bites the hogs junk, the hog sits down on top of the chihuahua and the other yaps away, and the one underneath knows your coming and will stay there till ya get there. so big bad arse dog? no!
smart dog? yes.
granite, we shot em with 22lr and ate em the next day...really cant beat Hawaiian hawgs cooked on the beach.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
everyone is so big on a pit bull or bull dog. all you need is a smart dog or 2. you can use chihuahua's just as well as pit bulls...the two chihuahua's go in silent ...find a hog, corner it, one goes in and bites the hogs junk, the hog sits down on top of the chihuahua and the other yaps away, and the one underneath knows your coming and will stay there till ya get there. so big bad arse dog? no!
smart dog? yes.
granite, we shot em with 22lr and ate em the next day...really cant beat Hawaiian hawgs cooked on the beach.
Halfbaked, you know as much about Hog Dogs as I know about flying 747's......
Old 04-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Spike

It's really more about using the right tool for the right job. I don't use a screwdriver to pound in a nail, and I don't use chihuahuas for catch dogs. A bulldog is meant to be a strong athletic dog with a very strong bite, and a desire to hold on until taken off. that makes him an effective tool to CATCH hogs. nobody said anything about finding them. That's a strike dog's job, and yes it does take intelligence, and finesse to find a hog, and expecially hold it at bay. We are talking specifically about the dogs that make contact with the hog and hold it while the human hunters deal with it. A catch dog's motto has to be "any hog, anywhere, any time", and you have to be able to follow that dog to any hog and trust him to CONTROL it. Also it sounds like you are talking about baying and shooting hogs, where we are talking more about legging the hog and then sticking or tieing it. two different worlds.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

From what I've seen of catch dogs is that you want one that is fairly passive when not hunting. The lady that I bought my Catahoulas from runs an American Bulldog/Argentinian Dogo Cross that are aggressive on hogs, yet very smart about when they strike, where they strike, and they back off when you tell them too. She keeps those particular dogs in her home with her so as to socialize them with people so that they don't become to aggressive. I've seen a few people around my area that practice the same techniques. They make really good catch dogs, that have the drive to do it, and at the same time they want to please there master which just furthers there potential in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by catch
It's really more about using the right tool for the right job. I don't use a screwdriver to pound in a nail, and I don't use chihuahuas for catch dogs. A bulldog is meant to be a strong athletic dog with a very strong bite, and a desire to hold on until taken off. that makes him an effective tool to CATCH hogs. nobody said anything about finding them. That's a strike dog's job, and yes it does take intelligence, and finesse to find a hog, and expecially hold it at bay. We are talking specifically about the dogs that make contact with the hog and hold it while the human hunters deal with it. A catch dog's motto has to be "any hog, anywhere, any time", and you have to be able to follow that dog to any hog and trust him to CONTROL it. Also it sounds like you are talking about baying and shooting hogs, where we are talking more about legging the hog and then sticking or tieing it. two different worlds.
Catch, you know the drill goody buddy!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Tobe_B
From what I've seen of catch dogs is that you want one that is fairly passive when not hunting. The lady that I bought my Catahoulas from runs an American Bulldog/Argentinian Dogo Cross that are aggressive on hogs, yet very smart about when they strike, where they strike, and they back off when you tell them too. She keeps those particular dogs in her home with her so as to socialize them with people so that they don't become to aggressive. I've seen a few people around my area that practice the same techniques. They make really good catch dogs, that have the drive to do it, and at the same time they want to please there master which just furthers there potential in my opinion.
Tobe, many hog hunters have never heard of a Dogo Argentino.....many don't even know the characteristics of any breed to know what to cross to produce a hog dog. The Argentino has 8 crosses of breeds with the characteristics of producing a dog that is superb on wild boars..........
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Korak, to answer your question.........IMO, when you start to cross breeds you look to dogs with the characterics like .......Catahoula, endurance and good lung capacity, wide paw pads, muscular chest, good leg height, and short haired.

Pit bull almost the same , but with a Slip Jaw..

Black Mouth Cur, also about the same, but courageous and loyality to his master..

IMO, the Dogo Argentino is the one to start the crosses with the above mentioned.......They have been bred for wild boar hunting in Argentina since the early 1920's.........

And really don't need crossing IMO, they have been crossed with 10 different breeds to have produced a superb hog dog.....

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 04-16-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rebel Hog
Halfbaked, you know as much about Hog Dogs as I know about flying 747's......

apparently you are a commercial pilot.
living in Hawaii fer a year, this is how we caught hogs. unbelievable sight i know, when they pulled the hawg dawgs out the truck the 1st time i died laughing...but true to his werd, the dogs never failed to deliver dinner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.