Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
going to a high fence what can i expect? >

going to a high fence what can i expect?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

going to a high fence what can i expect?

Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some friends that have been to Dos Plumas near Abilene! They had a blast and keep wanting a bunch get together and book it up for a weekend.Not high end hunt but they said it was worth it! Just don't shoot a wet sow.I say hunt a high fence if you want,then say been there done it,some are first rate setups some aren't,but the hunt at Trent should be a fun time!I may try to do an off season hunt there next year myself!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by RLoving1
I have some friends that have been to Dos Plumas near Abilene! They had a blast and keep wanting a bunch get together and book it up for a weekend.Not high end hunt but they said it was worth it! Just don't shoot a wet sow.I say hunt a high fence if you want,then say been there done it,some are first rate setups some aren't,but the hunt at Trent should be a fun time!I may try to do an off season hunt there next year myself!
My nephew has a lease in Abilene.........When he sends me the pictures of the bucks they killed I will post them!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, you guys that have never been on a high fence hunt shouldn't speak as though you are experts. Its not like hunting in a pen. Not by any stretch of the imagintion. The fence is only there to keep the ranch's exotic animals in. I was on a high fence hunt this past fall. This fence encompassed 10,000 acres (thats 10 THOUSAND ACRES). A hunter couldn't cover this ground during an entire hunting season let alone a few day. The only drawback on this type of hunt is that game taken cannot be considered for any records. This I assume is due to the other so called hunts where the fence is only a few acres.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the ranch, size of the ranch and what type of terrain the ranch has. It could be a lot harder hunt than you would ever expect or it could be a turkey shoot. we sell high fenced hunts and just for our own personal feelings set a minimum acerage for any high fenced hunt we sell at 1,000 acres. Y'all are mistaken if you think all high fenced hunts are pen shoots. We have one 1,000 acre ranch that has a black buck on it that we're pretty sure is a world record. I sold a hunt for him and the hunter hunted hard for 4 days and only got a quick glimpse once at him. Ask a lot of questions about size of ranch and type of terrain and hunting methods.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Spike

With the decline of public land hunting, , leased land, and anti-hunting legislation, high fence hunting may be the way of the future. I once hunted boar, at a high fence ranch. The hog hunting was pretty easy. We spent the rest of the time, watching exotic game. I really enjoyed the chance to see some unusual animals. Some species would be easy to take, while others would be much harder.

The hunting experience is often, what you make of it. I would do high fence hunting again. But next time, I would go after a more illusive species. If each hunter sets their own goals, it can be rewarding.

For example: I've already shot a 350 pound hog. Anything less, doesn't mean much to me. If they want me to shoot hogs, I would shoot a small meat hog, and leave the big ones for someone else. That way you avoid coming house empty handed, and you can hunt for something that would mean more to you. This is my first year deer hunting. Any whitetail would be a trophy to me. If you have shot a nice 8 point buck, hunt for something larger, and leave lesser deer for someone else.

Make it a good experience by not killing animals, just because you can.

Last edited by sebastian slim; 12-19-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BIG.PAUL
To use the words high fence and hunting together is a shame.
I went on a socalled hunt in texas once with a buddies urging, at a high fence place, what a damm joke. That is the farthest thing from hunting I have ever seem!

I know that this is just my opinion, and that it only rings true in my mind...But it's my mind and I want to keep it that way.

I agree. Personally, I'd never fork over money to one of those places, but if works for you, then..........but don't call it hunting, it's not. What can you expect from high fence hunting? A kill, that's what. In real hunting, there are no guarantees.

I've heard all of the arguments about why we should "stick togeather, and support any kind of hunting". No. It is not sport, it is not hunting, and it gives everyone involved in the sport of hunting a bad rep.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

You can expect to spend a lot of money
Old 12-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if you can't call high-fenced hunting...hunting.... (even if it's on a 10K acre ranch where you actually have to "hunt" down the animals to kill them) then you can't call dog-hunting...hunting... You're not hunting the animals... The dogs are.... And it's not hard at all when the dogs are tracking down the animals and then letting you know when they have them cornered.

Just my $0.02..
Old 12-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Well, if you can't call high-fenced hunting...hunting.... (even if it's on a 10K acre ranch where you actually have to "hunt" down the animals to kill them) then you can't call dog-hunting...hunting... You're not hunting the animals... The dogs are.... And it's not hard at all when the dogs are tracking down the animals and then letting you know when they have them cornered.

Just my $0.02..
Another subject altogeather, but since you brought it up, I'll agree with that statement also.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why knock one person's choice of hunting when he may go to a place that is first rate.Quality of the place to hunt being low or high fence is rather subjective it all depends on what you can afford and what you have experienced so I would like for him to go and form his own opinions and report back on how he feels afterwards.This is close to the xbow,long bow,compound,verses firearm debate...we're knocking someone else wanting to get amongst the joy of hunting.I still stand my ground of go out do it and report back with pictures to anyone who goes afield! That ain't 2 cents thats the whole dang dollar for ya!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.