Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Queston for you guys...... >

Queston for you guys......

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Queston for you guys......

Old 03-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Queston for you guys......

You wouldn't catch me hunting wild hog with a .22 anything.....EVER! That's just not enough fire power for me to be comfortable taking a shot. Hogs have very thich skin and don't bleed very much even when shot in the vitals. Me personally, I want an animal to die quick when I shoot it and blood trailing a hog is not at the top of my love list. They are probably on of the worst animals to blood trail.

That being said, I would take the 300.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hit them right and you won't have to trial them. I've killed a bunch of hogs with my .223, and I've yet to lose one. I've only had two, maybe three run more than a couple feet before dying.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

They are probably on of the worst animals to blood trail.

I agree, thats why I shoot them in the head, and for that nothing over a .22 centerfire is needed.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

22 mag. bang.... flop...dead hog.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Guys lets keep in mind this is a persons first hog hunt here.For one forget about the long list that was posted of firearms for hog hunting.Certainly,a large ego....ok you know calibers of a ton of weapons...cool.
Ive had alot of hunters out with me for wild hogs.
They have very good hearing,you will not find much better.They can smell an acorn under four feet of snow.They can sense things new in there suroundings as well as any whitetail.Always use the wind to your favor.Though thier eye sight is not that good they make up for it by thier ability to pick up movement.take this all into consideration whilr hunting.
During the day if you are still hunting hogs like to lie in the shade along fallen trees or if there is room to get under the tree will often times lie down under fallen logs,between the log and the ground.They will hold like a cotton tail.
I would suggest not shooting a hog in the head.Low behind the front shoulder...however it is best to crowd the shoulder or take quartering away shot.
A 30,06 rifle 225 grain is a good cal,because short range is the norm.#08 also does on heck of a job on them.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:34 AM
Fork Horn

First as to my ego all I did was copy and paste from wikopedia. I do not know all those cartridges. You are correct on the hearing and a lot of people never get to see the hog because they were making noise. I will still defend my position on their eyesight being better than people think. They cue on movement very well. Granted I have stood still and had hogs walk within ten feet of me but then they winded me and hauled bacon. My go to hog gun for night shooting is my 30-06. I just hate shooting them in the chest because the 165 grain bullet just explodes them. As for a 225 grain bullet....jeez...loweez. They aint grizzley bears. Quartering away shots on hogs I will do with my bow if I HAVE to. I will let them walk if I have my rifle because I just hate cleaning a pig that has had his intestines blown to goo. I get to whack pigs all the time though so I can be selective. If it is the one hunt you get a year I guess take the shot that is offered. On another note the 22-250 is my buddys go to gun for just about everything on his farm. That little bullet hits them in the head and it feels like a bag of mashed potatoes and marbles. It just shatters their head and if you hit them in the chest it looks like a grenade went off in there. I think that little 55 grain bullet is WAY underated.

Show us some pics when you get back.

Remember to shoot them small.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not so sure hogs are as bright as you think, weary maybe.
I have wild piglet I have been raising like a dog, when I throw snacks out in the yard to it and my dogs ,the pig has a harder time finding it than my dogs, my dogs will sniff it out in a second, they beat the pig to it everytime