Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new mzl queston

Old 11-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Spike

Default new mzl queston

hi guys im in the market for a new mzl i want one with a full stainless steel barrel ive looked at the remington and theve only got a stainless coating i want a actual stainless barrel was wonderinf if the cva is a stainless coating or just stainless barrel like the tc or knight thanx also im shooting a 245 grain bullet right now with 100 grain powder if i change 295 will i have 2 shoot 150 grains of powder
Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: new mzl queston

xi32

Remington's Genesis does have a real stainless barrel...

TC triumph which is a great gun has the weather shield coating - think but have not checked you can still get an Encore or Omega in real stainless..

Traditions have a nickel coating

CVA has a real stailess barrel - but check their barrel restrictions before you buy, the have a maximum weight restriction on loose powder and bullet weight.

Knight's are true stainless

Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

My Remington Genesis has a stainless barrel. The Traditions have a nickel plated barrel. Some of the high end CVA are stainless but you need to pay attention to what you are buying.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Spike

i was going to buy a rem genesis the other day at gander mountain and the guy said that it was only a stainless coating not a stainless barrell and i looked at the barrel and it had marks on it where the coating had been rubbed off thats why i asked if the cva was the same way. the barrel on the genisis definaltely didnot look like the barrel on the tc right beside the tc had no marks on it the rem did where it looked like the coating had been rubbed off. if im wrong sorry just going off what i was told. im tryin not to spend 600 on a new mzl but i want the stainless barrel thanx
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

xi32

Can not even tell howm many guys behing a counter do not know what they are talking about all the time, not saying your guy didn't. But Remington does offer a Satin Stainles Barrel... the reciever is not stainless only the barrel.

Check these two sites...

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/muzzleloaders/

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/muzzleloaders/genesis_specifications.asp

This not to say that a stainless barrel can not be marked, because it can and as normal there are certainly different qualities in stainless steel as in anything else.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:22 PM
FG

Check out the CVA Accura. Everyone whos bought one has had a great time with them, especially the triggers. You can get the blue/black for $318 or the stainless/camo thumbhole for $445. Triggers are preset at 2lbs. Theres also rifles with nickel finishes and theres nothing wrong with that! They are nickel coated inside the barrel and outside. I let my optimas nickel barrel wet after cleaning it and set it to the side for an hour, went to clean it and it wasnt any rust that came out on the patch but an odd color/milky white color. After running a few windex patches and them rem oil patch the barrel didnt show any signs of discoloring.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

xi32

FG does not like this but you need to look at the limitations that CVA places on their barrels, even the new Bergara barrels. They are not as versitile as the other companies, in that CVA limits the amount of loose powder that you can use and the weight of projectiles that can be shot.

With the Remington and mostany other inline ML you can use the equivelent of a 150 grains loose BP or sub. Not that shooting 150 grains is even necessary. But even with regular BP you are limited to 100 grains loose.

Do not know if they still have any of these but take a look...

Buckmasters Rem with fluted stainless barrel - $234.99 + there isa $35.00 rebate from Remington

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0063381216894a&type=product&cm Cat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=buckma sters+remington&sort=all&Go.y=3&_D%3Ah asJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=1 4&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fs earch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Old 11-12-2008, 02:37 PM
FG

Oh im saddened to see that you have stooped to the level that some others have been doing.

What are the limits on the remington? Or should i say Traditions?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

fg

Yes, it is imported by Traditions, and it has the same specs as the other Traditions - (except it is stainless)or my Omega or theA&H's it can not quite match the powder capabilities of the Knight but very close... All of these have higher specs than any of the CVA's

stooped to the level that some others have been doing
No, not really I am not claiming that a CVAis a bad ML because it is imported or shabbly built - I am just saying that it has limitations that most other inlines do nothave and the buyer should be aware of those limitations.

Remember I own a Fire Boltwith the same restrictions

Old 11-12-2008, 02:50 PM
FG

So what were those specs on the traditions?

Quick Reply: new mzl queston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.