Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

planting queston

Old 09-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Spike

Default planting queston

i have a 50 lb bag of mix seeds it has wheats,oats,feild peas, anual ryegrass,crimson clover,cropseed,weedseed, and imperial clover its seem really good but the queston is do i have to till the ground the bag doesnt say. and i wanna be sure before i spread any out and waste them
thanks patrick

Old 09-19-2002, 02:20 PM

Default RE: planting queston

You prob. don't have to actually till up the ground but you would have better results if you at least pack it in or harrow it in.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Definitely prepare the seedbed if you can. Just curious, you say that it contains weedseed. Hopefully it is a very low percentage or I would buy different seed.

Old 09-19-2002, 11:09 PM
Spike

TIMBER it has.7 percentweed seed .20 cropseed 2.90 crimsomclover 5.90 ryegrass 7.50 feild peas 25.00 oats 57.00 wheats and 15.00 imperal clover.
Patrick

Old 09-20-2002, 09:58 AM
Spike

try em and see .

Old 09-20-2002, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

It would be best to till the ground or use a disc to break up the ground before planting. Otherwise don't expect much to come up. You should have a soil test done to determine how much lime/fertilizer you will need. If you don't do a soil test you can put out 10-10-10 fertilizer at 300 pounds per acre and lime at about 1000 pounds per acre. After spreading the seed it needs to be pressed into the ground. A cultipacker works great if you have one. I don't so I just drive over it lightly with a four wheeler. This helps the seed to have good soil contact for better germination. This will be my second year experimenting with food plots. So far I've planted rye grass, arrowleaf clover, ladino clover, and alfalfa. My deer seem to like the alfalfa best with the arrowleaf clover coming in second but I will still try other things until I find the perfect combination. Good luck with your plot!!!

Shane
Old 09-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Spike

my seeds are growing i see the crimson clover and the rye already so hopefully they do good but they also have alot of tracks all up and down my plott. if i kill ill post the pic.
Patrick