Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 HELP!!! Hogs wont come in my new trap!!! >

HELP!!! Hogs wont come in my new trap!!!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

HELP!!! Hogs wont come in my new trap!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default HELP!!! Hogs wont come in my new trap!!!

I've had a corn feeder at the back of my land for the last year and hogs have been there virtually every night eating there full.
I just bought a new 8'X6'X4' welded trap to catch some of those rascals. I've put corn inside it along with some old bread and even doused the inside of the trap with HOG HEAVEN (sweet hog attractant). I get pictures on my game camera every night of the pigs all around the trap....even sticking their nose in it trying to get some corn.....but they just WILL NOT push the door open and walk in for the FEAST!!!
Do I need to wire the door open and let them come in an out for a while so they get used to the trap???
Any help would be welcomed
Old 01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP!!! Hogs wont come in my new trap!!!

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

I just bought a new 8'X6'X4' welded trap to catch some of those rascals. I've put corn inside it along with some old bread and even doused the inside of the trap with HOG HEAVEN (sweet hog attractant). I get pictures on my game camera every night of the pigs all around the trap....even sticking their nose in it trying to get some corn.....but they just WILL NOT push the door open and walk in for the FEAST!!!
Do I need to wire the door open and let them come in an out for a while so they get used to the trap???
Any help would be welcomed
That seems to be the usual strategy. I'm in the same situation, in that I've put out a trap but haven't caught anything yet. However, I'm leaving the door (mine is a swinging door hinged at the side) open so that the hogs will get accustomed to entering the trap. From what I've heard said by folks who've successfully trapped hogs, the idea is to get one in the trap, then close the door. Others will, because they've been in the trap previously when the door was secured open, then push their way inside so as to get at the bait. They apparently can't stand to see "old Leroy" in there getting it all himself.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

lock the door OPEN for a few weeks and let the pigs get used to coming into the trap to eat, and walking out when they are done. After being used to eating inside of it for a few weeks, you can set the trap like it should normally be used, and the pigs will work their way into it for the food that they are accustomed to getting.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Like mentioned above, get them used to it being open, then set it. Don't be surprised that after you catch the first time, the other ones want enter the trap. You might have to leave it open again for a few weeks to get the older ones to commit. They are the most intelligent animal that you can go after.