Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Shooting Hogs inside the trap?  Bad idea? >

Shooting Hogs inside the trap? Bad idea?

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Shooting Hogs inside the trap? Bad idea?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting Hogs inside the trap? Bad idea?

I recently bought a nice welded hog trap and its been out long enough for the hogs to get used to it and really start coming to the corn inside it.

Yesterday, I got 2 good sized hogs in the trap. When I walked close enough to check them out, they went crazy (of course).

I quickly dispatched both with a .22 mag bullet in the ear, and dragged them out of the trap.

I tried to wipe as much blood off the trap as possible, and I moved the trap to shovel up all the dirt that had blood on it.

I called one of my buddies that I remembered has trapped hogs before and told him about my good luck.........that's when things went south...

He said you should NEVER shoot a hog in the trap because the other hogs will NEVER go into the trap again................"well CRAP", I said....

So.....did I mess up or am I ok????

Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting Hogs inside the trap? Bad idea?

I've heard both ways, but I've specifically read trapping info that discusses shooting the hogs in the trap. Several comments were along the line of shooting them from a distance so they don't get all worked up. Let us know what your results are.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Spike

If its like shooting coyotes in a trap I would say no... to the hogs in the trap.. I would say no.. I like to get my coyotes with a head snare and shoot them away from the trap so that the blood is not smelled around or near the trap allowing me to use the same set time and time again.. I don't know how it would work with hogs or if it would be possible to get them out of the trap..But I would try to shoot them out out and away from the trap..

good luck
Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Obviously...I would RATHER shoot them outside the trap.....but how in the world would I do that? Those pigs would scatter pretty quickly when the trap door opened....and I dont know how well a snare would work. Those guys are pretty fiesty!

Any other input would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-18-2009, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't trapped in a few years, but I did shoot the hogs inside my trap and preceded to catch others in just a day or two.

A couple of weeks ago, I walked up on a hog near my game camera and killed it. I went back to my house to get my cleaning knives, and when I got back (less than 15 minutes), I had pictures on my camera of other hogs eating corn around their dead litter mate.

I would say that a dead animal/blood might not bother them too much.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Just FYI.....

I had 3 hogs in the same trap this morning.......so I guess if you give them a little time, they will still come into a trap that you've shot other hogs in.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Spike

Shoot them in the trap. The smell of blood won't hurt a thing. It will actually act as an attractant. Most people don't realize it but hogs will go cannibal in a heartbeat. They will eat their own without hesitation. I've seen guys kill hogs, field dress them right there, and then kill other hogs eating the guts. Pretty sick, but then again, they are only animals.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 AM

I don't have any experience with feral hogs, but I would say hogger 29 is right. If a sow eats one of her litter and gets the taste of blood she will kill them all. This is the reason for the farrowing crates. They are pretty vicious creatures.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 AM

I have a trap made from 2-16ft hog panels installed under a deer feeder. Several times I have killed several hogs, pulled them just outside the trap door and left them. It did not keep more from entering the trap. I've caught between 50 and 60 in the last 3 months, mostly piglets, using corn soaked in diesel and rasberry jello.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 AM

It won't make any difference . I've been shooting them in the traps for 15 years and I always get more in the same traps . Sometimes the very same day.

Quick Reply: Shooting Hogs inside the trap? Bad idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.