Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

12 gauge too much?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM

Default 12 gauge too much?

Hi guys. I'm just getting back into hunting up here in Tallahassee. I have recently purchased an 870 express SuperMag thinking I could use it for most anything I'd be hunting. I'd like to hunt hogs at some point; is this too much gun? If not, what is the proper shot load/choke combination?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 12 gauge too much?

No not to much.................Slugs and Rifled Slugs for Smooth Barrels or Sabots for Rifled Barrels...Many hogs have been killed here in FL with 00 Buck ,but for years I have favored Slugs & Sabots.....
Old 10-15-2008, 06:40 AM

I hope not West...lol

I have hunted squirrel and ducks for the last 10 years and finally decided to get serious about deer and hogs myself. I attempted deer hunting when I was much younger and found I didn't have the patience or support (raised by a single mom so there was no hunting growing up). So I am very inexperienced as well when it comes to this category. Trying to correct that by reading everything in my sight and finding sights like this.

I have been running across hogs everywhere here lately while squirrel hunting so I am gung ho this year (walked up on a 200 lb hog a couple of weeks ago). I went out yesterday and sighted in my "Little Slugger" (Mossberg 835 with riffled barrel and a Bushnell scope) with Hornady SST's. I am dead on at 100 yrds and will be looking for some piggies this weekend.

So to make a long story short you will be fine with the shotgun. I have talked to a lot of guys here in my neck of the woods and all of them agree a shotgun is just fine and dandy when it comes to dropping a hog or deer.

Keep in touch West.... Would be nice to seehow another hog "Green Horn" is doing this year.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Use a winchester rifled slut with a fully rifled barrel for max kenetic energy. the heavyer sluts are pretty accurate out to not rediculace ranges out of a fully rifled barrel. and if you come on to something big dangerous and pissed off with tusks you will be glad that you had all the gun you brought.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I fully agree with these gentlemen. A 12 gauge is just fine and very versitile. That's why there's so many different combinations of shells for these guns. You just pick the power and shot you want for what you're hunting and get after it. You can hunt upland birds, water fowl, deer, hogs, squirrel, rabbit, etc... All with the same gun.