Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

1st Hog Gun ?'s

Old 07-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st Hog Gun ?'s

winchester model 94 30-30. open sighted.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dazedkraut

I was thinking about a .308, but now am leaning more towards .30-06
Are you going hog hunting or hog shooting?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Hunting- I'd eat what I shot
Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you considering buying a new rifle? 1st rifle/1st hog rifle?

let us know what you're looking to do.....and what you have already, if you had a .30-06, great gun/round there to use, but if you're looking to buy a rifle, and if its your 1st rifle or not, that may make a difference.

Also even if you have no plans to hunt out west, if buying a rifle to hunt hogs, I'd probably opt for a rifle I could use out west if I ever had to.

It's pretty universally accepted that the .30-06 is the best single rifle all around for NA, but if you already have a rifle or two then maybe the suggestion would change....
Old 07-04-2008, 03:32 PM

I don't currently have a centerfire rifle, and have never hunted exclusively for hogs. I do like the .30-06, but I've done some research on the Marlin 308MX, which is a lever action that shoots the new .308 Marlin Express cartridge. This new cartridge has nearly identical ballistics as the regular .308 Winchester, but you can load it in a tubular magazine. The appeal to me for this gun & cartridge would be follow up shots on hogs. I could certainly use the gun for deer as well. This gun would be good for hogs, especially with see through scope rings for any close shots in the woods etc. Comments?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:00 AM

I'm not familiar with the marlin 308MX, but marlin makes a great lever action. I would give a word of caution if you are planning on using hornady leverevolution ammo. On at least some marlins, the leverevolution ammo can jam in the magazine tube, leaving you standing there holding an expensive club. That is decidedly not fun when you have a 280 lb boar coming after you. Been there, done that, not fun.

About any centerfire rifle of .243 caliber or above will do the job on hogs if you do your part. But I would suggest that you never use a varmit bullet in any caliber on hogs. That, in my opinion, is a recipe for disaster.

As regard the see thru scope mounts, in my opinion they are not the best of both worlds, they are the worst of both worlds. I would suggest either a good peep, or a low power scope, I have a couple of the nikon 2X8's that work very well. Whichever you get, practice with it untill you are good with it.

Bill
Old 07-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dazedkraut

Hunting- I'd eat what I shot
Hunting is when you can get within 30 to 40 yards and kill it....Then you have hunted the hog!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:04 PM

Never needed anything more than a 223 right below the ear-kills em all no matter the size.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:01 PM

Personally I like this scope: http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/catalog/tactical_dms
Old 07-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm weary of new cartridges, the .308 is hugely popular as is the .30-06, so a new .308 express etc....I'm not sure how successful/much of an impact it can make.

If fast follow up shots is what you want, consider a semi auto,otherwise I'd go for a bolt. Personally a bolt vs a lever IMO is splitting hairs as far as action speed. Most guys I ever see throw their bolt well after that 1st shot anyway, by the time most do, could have reloaded a single shot. So action speed wouldn't really affect my decision, but if either were, I'd go for a semi auto probably or bolt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.