Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

1st Hog Gun ?'s

Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM

Default RE: 1st Hog Gun ?'s

you might be right about follow up shot speed for guys that are used to throwing their bolt quickly... I probably wouldn't be one of those guys though! I'm in no rush, so I'm still shopping around for the right gun.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have also been using my 22 mag quite a bit and it kills them just as dead.

Don't have a .22 Mag myself. But got one one order. I've killed several lately with the .22LR. Just put the bullet in their ear.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:38 PM

if you got the kala(money) try the bushmaster in 6.8 its my new hog gun its awsome, but for years i used a 30 carbine small,lite,fast,semi auto,its a great hog gun,but a little underrated
Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM

I have a Remington .243 and would like to use it to hunt California hogs. You made reference to "varmit" rounds. What would be the best round? Bear in mind that California now requires "Lead-Free" bullets. So far all I can find is the Barnes Triple Shock. Any ideas?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 AM

From what I've seen, you can't go wrong with the triple shocks. Great terminal ballistics. The bullet will not come apart like the varmint rounds and should almost always give a pass through even on some pretty good size hogs. I've tried them in my Tikka T-3 in 338 federal and have been absolutely impressed with accuracy. Haven't tried them in anything else, but plan to soon. As long as they group tight they will probably be my go-to tound in just about everything. Now they have the tipped TSX and the MRX which are all variations of the x-bullet. I think the MRX has a tungsten alloy core so it should be kookyfornia legal.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

In Texas we don't care what you shoot'em with or how many at anytime day or night. Jim
Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Any 30 caliber should work fine. A .270 is also quite good enough. Unless you have a specific need for a certain rifle think about ammo costs. If you're only going to have one rifle (for now) get one that has good ammo availability. 30-06, .308, .270, or even a .243 probably fit the bill. I got a .308 because my buddy had one and now we can share ammo. Not to mention that I can buy it everywhere.

As for shot placement, head shots are great if you can get close enough to be absolutely certain of a kill. As for me, when in doubt I always go for the shoulder. My theory is that it's better to waste some meat than to miss or wound the hog and have it run off. Something is better than nothing!

But back on topic, any 30 cal will work on hogs. As salukipv1 said, it might be nice to have a rifle that's good anywhere in the country. For that purpose, drop off the .243 and the 30-30. A .270 is adequate for anything in the lower 48 states, and a 30-06 or .308 is more than adequate.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Spike

If i didnt know better i would think you guys were shooting elephant...ive shot a few hogs before ,,,one at 300#s and all i used was my 50cal. muzzleloader...DEAD no problem
Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

There is a group that hunts them with nothing but air rifles.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Gamo Air Rifle

View My Video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.