Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Just a month left

Old 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just a month left

Well guys, in a month I will be headed out to the Texas Shoot-Out on the Callaghan Ranch. 90,000 acres of javelina hunting, feral hogs, rabbits, mountain lion, coyote, and bobcat. I am super pumped up for this hunt. I have never been but my friends say it has been a blast the last two years they went.

So a couple questions:

1. Do javeline calls really work? I have seen them work on TV, but then again it's TV.

2. The way we hunt them (I'm told) is we find the thickest brush and corn three senderos all with the wind in our favor. Then we do a stalk just off the dirt road and try to get close enough for a shot. Think this will work?

Wish me luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just a month left

Never seen a javalina call,doesn't mean they don't exist.The corn in sendero and stalk idea sounds like the plan...they have typical pig type eye sight,get down wind and you can sneak up and arrow them minus the bow,wear steel toe boots and you can kick them to death!Don't do that some of the local high schoolers beat some deer and caused a stink already![]Corn and stalking is the ticket!!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

2. The way we hunt them (I'm told) is we find the thickest brush and corn three senderos all with the wind in our favor. Then we do a stalk just off the dirt road and try to get close enough for a shot. Think this will work?
Bingo. corn as many senderos as you feel like walking to or on, sit at one and wait, if nothing happens stalk to the next one and look down it, if nothing move to the next one and back and forth, should easily find them. The last 2 hours of daylight is the best time, not to say other times dont work, Ive seen them in the middle of the day feeding in senderos.
You can stalk them fairly easy, theyre not to bright.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys