Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 WILD HOG WEIGHT AND SIZE ???????????????????? >

WILD HOG WEIGHT AND SIZE ????????????????????

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

WILD HOG WEIGHT AND SIZE ????????????????????

Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 AM

Default WILD HOG WEIGHT AND SIZE ????????????????????

i have always wondered about this, i kill 20+ hogs per year
USUALLY AVERAGE SIZE.. 90 -110 POUNDS DRESSED OUT
good eating size, fit easily on a Tailgate of a truck.
but... they always weigh in right around 100 pounds.
but i always see people w/ pictures of hogs stating they are 200+
is this the Weight with all the guts still in it? or did you weigh it after it was gutted?
im not trying to be rude or say anyone is lying.. not at all trying to seem that way.
i have just wondered this for a long time when I see pictures and Heavy Weight numbers.

IF THESE WEIGHTS ARE BASED ON THE WEIGHT BEFORE THEY WERE GUTTED, THEN MAYBE I AM UNDERESTIMATING THE WEIGHT OF ALL THE GUTS.

when we look at magazines with pictures of Hunters... and they put weights on them like 200lbs 250lbs 170lbs..
and almost all the time, the hogs in the pictures are maybe HALF that weight. (once dressed)
i have never weighed the Guts, but i would guess on a full size boar, all the insides might weight 60lbs.
I always weigh mine after they have been gutted and an MY average Boar is 140lbs but they look much bigger.
here is an example... this Big boar.. Field Dressed out.. 170 but he looks Much Heavier than that.
i see people online and magazines with hogs Smaller than this one, stating 200 - 300 pounds.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 AM

Default RE: WILD HOG WEIGHT AND SIZE ????????????????????

I kill these hogs all the time.. good to eat.
After the guts are removed, they always weight between 60 and 90 lbs.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:23 AM

ONE MORE EXAMPLE... Im looking for other peoples opinions please.
these big hogs.. Usually when you see in pictures in magazines.. claim to be over 200lbs.
but there field dressed weight is actually 140 - 160 lbs

ONE

Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ausie and I think people estimate the weight after dragging it to the truck. They gain a lot of weight after hauling them out of the woods! I'm with you, although I see a few bruisers most I kill weigh between 50-150.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

i kill 10-20 hogs per year. Where i hunt they have a lot of Russian boar blood. Killed some that were pure Russian boar. Yeah, they usually weigh about 60-110 pounds. But, i have killed a couple of real bruiser boars. One weighed 365 pounds with it's guts out-weighed on a certified scale. Have seen acouple that were bigger than that one.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ausie and I think
Nope I am not paid to think otherwise I would be a millionaire

Some people are just no good at weight estimation just the sameas some people suck at judging yardage, but I am not going to mention any names ( Bob) [8D]

I have seen a few pics on here where the pig would be lucky to go 125lb but with estimated weights of 250 plus.

The long drag to the truck could have something to do with it.

I shot a 75lb doe that by the time I dragged it the 1 1/2 miles back to the truck I would have sworn she weighed close to 200lb
Old 10-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice looking hogs

Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most people probably weigh theirs before gutting. That's how I weighed the ones I've weighed.

Last year, I killed 75 or so hogs, and most were in the 100-200 pound range. I killed a few bigger, and weighed the biggest. The biggest tipped the scales at 275#, which blew my mind, because I thought he was much larger. I can lift a 200# mineral tub no problem, and myself and a friend couldn't come close to budging that hog.

I also used to guess weights based on what my show hogs used to weigh when they were around that same size. It would suprise you how much difference there is between a show hog and a wild hog that both look about the same size. The wild hog will weigh maybe 2/3 what the show hog weighs.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 PM

your right about that, i too have raised domestic Hogs.
big weight difference, even when there Lenght and Heights are the same.
when they are Visualy identical... The wild ones weight 30-40% less.. or 2/3 as you said.
the HUGE Domestic Hogs, that weight 450lbs..
when you see a Huge Wild One, That looks to be the size of those domestic guys, will weight 250 - 300.
if you look at my picture at the very top of this posts... that was a Monster Boar.. and he weighed 170lbs once he was Gutted.
and the other big boar, a few columns down from the top 1.. he was 150 or 160 dressed out i belive.

I guess i have never heard of people weighing animals before they are gutted but i guess it is done quite often.
i always have them gutted way before i get anywhere near a Scale..
i usually Gut them on the spot, even if there under a Deer Feeder.

People say they are hard to kill and trap, and you have to be careful with your scent..
and Move the location of your traps..
and they say when you kill them inside the trap the other will smell it and wont go in.

I have always gutted deer and hogs right out in the open, even under the feeder.
sometimes i might drag them 15 feet away from the feeder.
and ALWAYS the guts are all gone by the next morning and there is deer and hogs eating under the same feeder the next morning.

of course Coyotes and Cats come eat the Guts... but Actually 90% of the time.
i think the Guts completly dissapear by Buzzards and other Hogs way before a Coyote or Cat gets to them.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Typical Buck

I took this guy in July and he weighed 135 lbs field dressed on the Moultrie big game scales in my hanging tree. I would like to think that I'm pretty good at estimating weight and I called this one 200 live weight. He is field dressed in this photo(thats why he looks wrinkled at the abdomen).What would have been your guess?

and here he is on game camera a few weeks earlier (pretty sure it's the same hog)

Quick Reply: WILD HOG WEIGHT AND SIZE ????????????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.