Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hunting loads; new hunter

Old 09-10-2007, 08:43 PM

Default hunting loads; new hunter

I booked a hunt in the summer of '08. I need some advice.

I have acheived some great groups with my 45-70 using a 300gr. Hornady hollow point bullet going at ~1900fps. Is this a good enough load, should I go for a heavier bullet, or faster velocity?

I also have some great groups with my .308 using a 78gr. Hornady A-MAX. I still have not chronoed it, but according to the manual, it should be around 2100+ fps.

If these loads are good enough for hog, where should I place my shots for the 45-70 and .308 respectively. I've seen people on the boards shoot for the lungs, and some shoot somewhere on the neck area. I don't know if the shots are dependent on the bullet being used. I also read someone's post saying to go for the head using a .308. What is the easiest shot. I'm thinking the lung area because it's so large. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hunting loads; new hunter

Look at the 30-30 VS Boar post. Perfect shot placement.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: geish

If these loads are good enough for hog, where should I place my shots for the 45-70 and .

What happen?........You booked a hunt for Bison out west and then changed your mind?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Shoot them in the head that way you want ruin any meat....
I killed one with a .22 while fishing shot him right between the eyes..You have enough gun and if its on go forthe head shot...
Old 09-11-2007, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: geish

If these loads are good enough for hog, where should I place my shots for the 45-70 and .

What happen?........You booked a hunt for Bison out west and then changed your mind?
LOL. I get that a lot, although I started doubting my load because some have recommended that I use the 350gr. bullet for larger hogs. I take it my loads are sufficient.

TheRev, thanks for the reference. Behind the ear, I'll go for. Thank you gentlemen.

As an aside, does anyone have an opinion on whether I should crimp my .308 loads for hunting or not. I do plan on using my magazine instead of hand loading each round one by one as I do at the range.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: woofer

I killed one with a .22 while fishing shot him right between the eyes..You have enough gun and if its on go forthe head shot...
Really, it is shoot them in the head, so you don't have to chase them into a thicket.

I had a Marlin 1895GS guide gun for a while and had super results with the Hornady LeverEvolution 325 gr ammo. As good as they shot out of my gun and reports that I have read from others, I could never justify the load development process for a 45-70.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

ORIGINAL: woofer

Really, it is shoot them in the head, so you don't have to chase them into a thicket.

I had a Marlin 1895GS guide gun for a while and had super results with the Hornady LeverEvolution 325 gr ammo. As good as they shot out of my gun and reports that I have read from others, I could never justify the load development process for a 45-70.
I do it because it's fun, relaxing, and it gives me confidence in my ammunition. Mostly because it's fun though. LOL. I'm a bit masochistic. Who doesn't enjoy the good thump when firing the 45-70 to see if their loads are good or not. It's humbling as is when I fire my .460. I it's a "blast." LOL.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Both calibers are excellent with the 45/70 being my favorite. You can't have too much gun for big hogs.A large boar'sshield can stop high velocity bullets from penetrating. Unbelievably so! A head shot is perfect if the opportunity presents itself. Other than that, shoot low and forward, as close in behind the front leg as possible. Their major plumbing is well protected by that shield and legs. Good Luck!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Fork Horn

I also have some great groups with my .308 using a 78gr. Hornady A-MAX. I still have not chronoed it, but according to the manual, it should be around 2100+ fps.
I use my 30.06 and hornady Interbond 150grains, I recommend bonded bullets such as Accubond, Interbond... Those bullets work on big ass boars
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

30-30 vs Boar

Quick Reply: hunting loads; new hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.