Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Need a good Hog recipe

Old 10-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Spike

Default Need a good Hog recipe

I've been dreading the hogs arriving on my place for a long time now but knowing that they are around and that with all the food plots, feeding etc knew they would show up. For the most part, I had a pretty good group come through last year with a combination of sows, young pigs, etc, but they seem to have moved on. There were about 3 boars that seemed to stay around and I got pictures of them regularly but I wasn't too concerned because they weren't tearing up too much. Well, the bunch showed back up (probably about 15 or so) and I shot one. It was a young male about 75-80 lbs. I field dressed him and hung him in a tree and it rained on him all night. I skinned him and quartered him out and have him in the freezer but am needing a good recipe for smoking him in the smoker. Can anyone on here help? I have bought 4 traps ( but want to rework them) and I'm going to build a pen and then I'm going to start trapping them. I wish I had them ready but with working full time and farming on the weekends, I've had no time to get everything done. Looks like there's going to be a never ending supply of pork from now on so I'd better find the right recipe and develop a taste. Help. Thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a good Hog recipe

You can cook it any way you cook pork BUTyou better cook the snot out of it. Not red, not pink, WELL DONE! Look (on line) at what you can get from pork, if its not cooked good.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Old 10-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Old 10-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

We use Badia, Goya orLa LechoneraCuban Marinade. Fill up a big pot and every 15mins keepbrushing on with a 4" brush.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:32 PM

Reb, I smile every time I see your pics of those pigs cookin on that pit/spit/grill thing you've got there.

I'm very tempted to build something like that at the campsite of my lease.

tycteach, as for recipes,........cut a piece of meat off the hog(it doesn't really matter where its from), rub it down with whatever seasonings you like, splash some Panola jalapeno sauce on it, throw in a chopped onion, and put it in the oven (covered) for 4-6 hours at about 275-300 degrees. I promise, if you don't burn it, IT WILL BE GREAT!!!!!!

Just be carefulwith a large boar or a very large sow. Preparation is critical on the big-uns. I like them 60 pounders!

Fellas, these recipe threads are killin me!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

Reb, I smile every time I see your pics of those pigs cookin on that pit/spit/grill thing you've got there.

I'm very tempted to build something like that at the campsite of my lease.

Just be carefulwith a large boar or a very large sow. Preparation is critical on the big-uns. I like them 60 pounders!
Oh Yeah! No heavier than 75 lbs.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:31 PM

I like the smaller hogs, and I'm not exactly a chef. I've found a recipe that works pretty good:Just take a quarter, drop it in a Reynold roasting bag, add spices and a can of beer, then slow-roast in the oven for a few hours.

Meat isso tender it falls apart,and *very* tasty. Co-workers of mine who'd never tasted wild pork said it was better than store-bought pork anytime, and I won't argue.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-27-2006, 01:57 AM

That made be crack up, thats a recipe for hogs alright

Quick Reply: Need a good Hog recipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.