Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Went on first hog hunt!  Have questions! >

Went on first hog hunt! Have questions!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Went on first hog hunt! Have questions!

Old 12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Went on first hog hunt! Have questions!

ORIGINAL: bigcountryok

KC10Chief: May want to be careful,on public landsI think the regs for OK say that you can only hunt hogs with weapon of the current season (ie during deer archery you can shoot them with a bow) and you must posses a hunting license and deer tag either filled or unfilled. I would double check.

Spotlighting hogs in OK is legal on private property if you obtain permision from the land owner and a permit from the local game warden. Some will let you some won't. I know guys who have had luck with it around Marrieta and Atoka.

If you can find a Remington 7600 that would be perfect. Dependable pump action with iron sights. Just my opinion.
I have asked the question about what is appropriate for hogsduring the summer. You can hunt coyote year round.....whos to say that a 30-06 isnt appropriate for a coyote?? I still have not got a straight answer from anyone. One guy that I did talk to calls and talks to the bioligists from the WMAs here in oklahoma and asks about hog populations. Most bioligists want them gone and they generally are more than will to help you. He actually told me that a bioligist met up with him and took him out to the hogs. he was like his hunting guide. He shot his hogs with a high power rifle...270, 30-06 etc. and it was no problem. Once deer season dies down givethe bioligists and wardensa call, they may blow you off or they may be extremely helpful
Old 12-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Abuddy used a 30-30 on a pig hunt a few years back and dropped a pig with one shot. If you're looking for a quick, iron sighted rifle in 30 caliber, just about everybody has at least one.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Spike

gene62

I am assuming by your reply that you do this on a hunting trip. So have you found the hogs come in the same day you set out the feeder or does it take a day or so. My problem is I hunt public land and cannot leave a feeder out.

Thanks
Greg
Old 12-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Full moon will have them moving at night. I set out Sat night and counted over 60 of them moving in and out of the river. Not a one moved during light hours. I could have shot tuns. We can hunt at night, I just dont need anymore hogs in my freezer. I was out deer hunting that evening, and just decided to set on the river that night and watch what was going on. We had a very bright moon.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: gkckm

gene62

I am assuming by your reply that you do this on a hunting trip. So have you found the hogs come in the same day you set out the feeder or does it take a day or so. My problem is I hunt public land and cannot leave a feeder out.

Thanks
Greg
dont use a feeder. Take you some post hole diggers out and dig a few holes as deep as you can. Fill them half way with corn then pour a pack of dry strawberry jello in the hole. Then top off the holes with corn. Throw some corn all over to help attrack the guys. The hogs will find the holes and dig at them for days, depending on how hard the soil is. You can use sour corn, but the corn and jello trick works as well and you dont have to deal with nasty sour corn.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I rpobably wouldnt eat the meat either, infections run througout the blood stream
there are only 2 diseases to worry about brusilosis and psuedorabies the first is the only onr transmitable to humans but as long as you wear protection when you clean them and cook the meat properly you have nothing to worry about the second is only transmittable to other animals and not the same as regular rabies.