HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Went on first hog hunt! Have questions!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
davs2601
Typical Buck

Default RE: Went on first hog hunt! Have questions!

ORIGINAL: bigcountryok

KC10Chief: May want to be careful,on public landsI think the regs for OK say that you can only hunt hogs with weapon of the current season (ie during deer archery you can shoot them with a bow) and you must posses a hunting license and deer tag either filled or unfilled. I would double check.

Spotlighting hogs in OK is legal on private property if you obtain permision from the land owner and a permit from the local game warden. Some will let you some won't. I know guys who have had luck with it around Marrieta and Atoka.

If you can find a Remington 7600 that would be perfect. Dependable pump action with iron sights. Just my opinion.
I have asked the question about what is appropriate for hogsduring the summer. You can hunt coyote year round.....whos to say that a 30-06 isnt appropriate for a coyote?? I still have not got a straight answer from anyone. One guy that I did talk to calls and talks to the bioligists from the WMAs here in oklahoma and asks about hog populations. Most bioligists want them gone and they generally are more than will to help you. He actually told me that a bioligist met up with him and took him out to the hogs. he was like his hunting guide. He shot his hogs with a high power rifle...270, 30-06 etc. and it was no problem. Once deer season dies down givethe bioligists and wardensa call, they may blow you off or they may be extremely helpful